Motor6D Point at object

I don’t really know anything about trigonometry for roblox. Here’s another example of what I need.

2 Likes

Try messing with the values of the AxisAngle functions of CFrame. Those functions use some trigonometry functions internally and they are simple to use for beginners.

However, they will be quite slow. The 2nd example you sent does not use Motor6Ds and uses AlignOrientation instead, which is way faster (but less stable).

1 Like

I know nothing about cframes and stuff. I want to keep everything in a motor6d

1 Like

just use CFrame.new(Vector3Positionofyourlight, Vector3positionofcharacter or point to look at)

this will set the Cframe of the light to point at the character if the lookvector is correct

use this with a tween setting cframe*

1 Like

That won’t work because there’s a head “tilt, y” and arm “pan, x”.
I cant just make the head spin the wrong way.

1 Like

You’ll need to know how to calculate the desired angle of the Motor6D. The angle properties of a Motor are in radians, so this shouldn’t be too hard.

Well, I’m not good at actually coding all of that math and I don’t have a need to find out right now, so if you manage to get it to point at something correctly, that’s great, and I can help you from there.

1 Like

I got it to somewhat work but if it “crosses its barrier” it just stops following.
Here’s the script I have now

while true do
	wait()
	for i,v in pairs(workspace.NEXUSBEAMS.GROUPA:GetChildren()) do
		v.Motors.Pan.DesiredAngle = -CFrame.new(v.Arm.Arm.Position, workspace.FOLLOW.Position).LookVector.X
		v.Motors.Tilt.DesiredAngle = -CFrame.new(v.Head.Head.Position, workspace.FOLLOW.Position).LookVector.Y + math.rad(90)
	end
	for i,v in pairs(workspace.NEXUSBEAMS.GROUPB:GetChildren()) do
		v.Motors.Pan.DesiredAngle = CFrame.new(v.Arm.Arm.Position, workspace.FOLLOW.Position).LookVector.X
		v.Motors.Tilt.DesiredAngle = CFrame.new(v.Head.Head.Position, workspace.FOLLOW.Position).LookVector.Y + math.rad(90)
	end
end

Here’s what I mean

It stops following

1 Like

Like if I go completely under it, it stops working

Can someone please help me? I really need help.

search up IK and you will most likely find what you need

I am looking for the same solution as you, but not allot of people know how to do the maths using motor6D as they are not used in many cases, the EDM Community is complex. This is all I found when looking for help:

lmk if you find anything cos I am not sure either

2 Likes

its been 16 days with no answer. please help

Trigonometry

If its a hinge constraint you can use this function

--Function for a hinge constraint
local function calculateServoAngle(hinge : HingeConstraint, targetPosition : Vector3)
	local baseAttachment = hinge.Attachment0

local object_horizontal_offset = (baseAttachment.WorldCFrame):PointToObjectSpace(targetPosition)
	local object_yaw_angle = math.atan2(object_horizontal_offset.Y, -object_horizontal_offset.Z)
	object_yaw_angle = math.deg(object_yaw_angle)

return object_yaw_angle
end
2 Likes

while true do
		wait(0)
	for i,v in pairs(workspace.NEXUSBEAMS.GROUPB:GetChildren()) do
		if v.Name == "N1T" then
		local object_horizontal_offset = v.Base.Base.CFrame:PointToObjectSpace(workspace.Panel.Position)
		local object_yaw_angle = math.atan2(-object_horizontal_offset.X, -object_horizontal_offset.Z)
		local object_yaw_angsle = math.atan2(object_horizontal_offset.X, object_horizontal_offset.Y)
		--Yaw angle is the goal CFrame
		--Next is PID stuff which I believe you are not concerned with
		--yawBase is the base of the turret.
		--I heavily suggest experimentation by printing out the values or
		--some other value monitoring method to make sure you get the right angle

v.Motors.Pan.DesiredAngle = object_yaw_angle + math.rad(90)
			v.Motors.Tilt.DesiredAngle = object_yaw_angsle + math.rad(90)
			end
end
	end

This is what I got so far. But Tilting does not work properly.

1 Like

Can someone help me? I need help quick

its been 5 days no help. Please soneone help

Why exactly do you need to use a Motor6D and not a weld or AlignOrientation?

I cant use anything else except motor6d. All my scripts use motor6d and Im pretty sure welding or using AlignOrientation will break it

well you don’t need to set DesiredAngle if you can manually set the Transform property.

Maybe this will help:

It’s for the root hip of a character, but some code should also work for the motor 6D.

1 Like