MouseLeave not always firing

This issue has been plaguing Roblox for ages. MouseLeave doesn’t always fire. Plain and simple.

I am using BillboardGuis here if it matters at all. I am on macOS 10.13.1 using the most recent version of Studio. This happens both in game and in studio.

Repro:

1. Insert a billboard gui in StarterGui
  2. Adorn it to a Part in workspace
  3. Add a frame in the billboard gui and set it up so it shows up in the render area
  4. Write a script that makes use of MouseEnter and MouseLeave events and then test it
  5. MouseLeave will not always fire when your mouse leaves the frame

Here is a video of my issues:

15 Likes

Can confirm this happens on Windows 10 Pro.

1 Like

I can confirm this is an issue with regular screen guis too. If you move your mouse over any gui button really fast, it will detect when it enters, but not when it leaves (using ol’ good Windows 7).

4 Likes

This has been an issue for years as far as I’m aware. Eventually I just wrote a module that just checks the mouse position on a loop to see when it’s left a gui.

1 Like

I used to do that as well, but then I heard news of refreshed methods coming soon but it never happened. Making custom detectors for mouse enter/leave for BillboardGui’s seems like something I won’t figure out.

3 Likes

Agreed. This literally ruins a lot of my UI designs, and has been a known issue for years with no solution attempted.

3 Likes

I’ll try to fix this bug soon. It’s pretty bad.

9 Likes

Does anyone have repros for related MouseLeave bugs? I’ve been experimenting and so far have two to fix:

• The BillboardGui one mentioned in this post, it is caused by GuiObjects not processing mouse events when the mouse is outside the BB’s bounding box.
  • There is a second issue where touch events will fire MouseEnter but MouseLeave never fires.
1 Like