Move the 'Align Dragged Objects' button in the right-click menu elsewhere

As a Roblox developer it is currently too difficult to figure out why in the world my BaseParts are not being rotated when I drag them along slanted surfaces.

The villain in this case is the ‘Align Dragged Objects’ button in the right-click menu.

This feature only appears in this menu. It does not appear anywhere else in the RibbonBar, which is what I would have expected.

If you are working on a standard 1920x1080 monitor, this menu item will very conveniently pop up right next to your cursor if you right click while the mouse is in the middle of your viewport. Below is a video illustrating the problem.

In the video, my cursor is placed in the center of my screen and when I right-click, this evil button appears right next to my cursor. If I accidentally right-click twice while moving my mouse to the right I will hit this toggle without knowing it. This can happen very easily because right-clicking is also used in combination with moving your mouse to rotate the camera in the viewport.

If I right-click while my cursor is pointing at the sky, only 6 out of 28 options are available, and the ‘align dragged objects’ button is, inconveniently, one of them.

My feature request is to simply move this button elsewhere. Maybe place it above ‘Group As a Model’. I do not want it right next to my cursor when I right-click where I can accidentally hit it. I already accidentally clicked this item today and then spent the next hour debugging and figuring out what was wrong with my studio.

6 Likes

This button shouldn’t be in the context menu at all, Studio has a problem with hiding functionality in random and obscure places, and this is another case of it.

There is a convenient gap right here in the snap to grid section, and since it affects rotation, I feel it categorizes in there nicely.

If the idea of using more space in the ribbonbar is abhorrent, the alternative is putting it into Studio settings, and putting a shortcut to open the relevant section of the settings menu somewhere up there instead.

1 Like

Agree that it’s not great. Fortunately an upcoming set of dragger improvements is going to include a hotkey-activated “Hold orientation” mode which will mostly obsolete this setting.

3 Likes