Moving Large Ships without the worry of lag

How possible is it to move a ship of this scale (slowly of course) which will have a full interior without blowing up the server? Is there a way to make this lag free/optimized as possible and how? What if I wanted 15-20 other small ships also moving, AIs & 80-100 players in a lobby, is this even possible with the engine after excessive optimization?

(ps, this ship is massive, likely will reach 60-70 thousand polygons)

Would you with your game idea, maybe be able to make the game work without the ship moving? I think you could make an background or something which seems moving, so people would think it is moving, but its really just the background or things around it. Maybe that would be a lot better in my opinion. Im sure it is possible, but I think for PCs and Mobiles who arent so new it might be quite laggy.

We do not plan on supporting anything other than PC. It’s supposed to be immersive and bring you into the star wars game, so moving a massive ship, is unfortunately one of the core features of the game. But does this imply with work, it is possible to do what I said?

I would say it is possible, but with the large scales I think you should have another persons opinion too.

Alrighty, I’ll wait for more people to comment.

I doubt that it will be possible smoothly. @YaBoyDabi’s idea sounds better, for example make some sort of flares or how they are called to simulate speed but other than that it sounds too much even for good PCs (don’t forget that players would also always have to have good internet). Like even if it works, the lags would be annoying if they were some. Additionally, I’d be worried about potential copyright claims if you want to use that specific ship :sweat_smile:

You will likely need to create a custom replication system that uses buffers and bitpacked position/orientation data to decrease the network bandwidth usage, as well as off-loading a lot of work to the client to relieve stress on the server