Moving Parts So That Additional forces can be Applied

Hello!
I was looking to into the mover Constraints (vectorforce, linearvelocity, etc) and I’m trying to find a way to move parts so that I can suddenly introduce another force or impact which gets applied on that part and changes its trajectory.

To explain better,
Suppose I have a part moving along the X axis and a bomb nearby explodes. The part comes within the explosion range and gets launched by a certain vector.

The problem here is that the part cannot use LinearVelocity, because then the explosion impact will not affect it.
It can use VectorForces, but then it will accelerate and the goal is to have a certain velocity at which it moves in a particular direction, so forces are out.

If you guys have any ideas, let me know!

1 Like

You could use the ApplyImpulse method of BaseParts. Like this:

part:ApplyImpulse(Vector3.new(0, 10, 0))

Assuming the part’s massless, it should be launched 10 studs up

that’s not constant velocity. That’s an impulse.
Applying Impulses will not maintain a velocity but be brought down by friction, if any.

EDIT: Note that if you apply impulse on loop, it ultimately becomes a vectorforce and causes accleration

Try considering using vector forces,

You can counteract this by adding drag forces or friction forces, or even add them both together.

The benefit is that it’s more controllable linear velocity you can control the direction of the max force rather than a single float value.

2 Likes

You will not believe how long I have looked for an answer to this.
Made my day, mate.