Multi-Cursor Script Editing - Full Release!

Not every update needs to be a big update. What you posted isn’t feedback and it isn’t constructive. There is no point in you expressing this point of view because it helps no one. There are other uses for this feature and it is nice that it is there even if you don’t use it (like transform). The fact that you said “Don’t @ me” reinforces the idea that you just typed this up to make people feel bad. Not cool.

21 Likes

is it fully released. man thats good breh

11 Likes

BLESS this is incredible. I won’t need to dump my code into sublime text to make blanket changes to static data and such. I never thought we would get here honestly.

9 Likes

It’s just to show it, multi-cursor editing is very essential and saves a ton of time.

11 Likes

At long last, coding just became easier!

8 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words!

Also, you might want to give a try to the code minimap plugin here: Code Minimap Plugin

13 Likes

Honestly, this was a really smooth Beta that I turned on pretty quickly, and am very glad to see that it is finally out of Beta! On projects where I am not using VSCode, it is super nice to have some of the features that I am used to. Can’t wait to see even more awesome Script Editor improvements!

7 Likes

Amazing! We needed that! Thank you!

7 Likes

then why not make it a built-in feature???

7 Likes

This update is very useful for people, it can help people in quickly editing the script!

6 Likes

This is such a good feature that most of us needed but didn’t think of this.

It was so annoying having to copy and paste the same syntax onto other lines so this will be very helpful for me and everyone else.

Thank you Roblox!

5 Likes

This is clearly just example code to demonstrate a feature, no reason to critique the code itself.

This singular missing feature was one of the biggest blockers preventing me from using first party studio script editor. I very frequently use it in VS Code, and I habitually press these keybinds in studio, only to be annoyed when I remember it doesn’t work. It was very frustrating, enough to make me always go back to using an external editor. But now it’s finally come to studio as well, reducing that friction in my studio experience, which is a leap in the right direction.

Everyone has their own workflow that works best for them. Besides my own testament, you can read through the other replies here to get a sense for how many people this change positively affects. Hopefully you can see how it’s not very productive to respond so critically under the assumption that if you don’t find it useful, then nobody does, especially when this doesn’t have a negative impact to those who don’t use it.

7 Likes

The same reason why we don’t write all the games / experiences… The community as a whole will be always smarter and more productive than us. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I do agree that the examples above are not the best, and we’re all in luck, soon the community will be able to contribute and create better docs: Kicking off the Summer of Docs!

In the meantime if anyone has better examples than we have in the Multicursor docs, I’d be happy to create internal PR-s for those (within reason).

7 Likes

Any plans to potentially make studio have an offline mode like most development platforms?
Not sure if this will get answered but I would very much appreciate some info on this.

7 Likes

I hope you understand that this was sarcasm.

6 Likes

Yes, sorry, I should have answered the original poster. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If you’re saying this, then doesn’t it mean that you’re accepting that you’ll never be able to make a better in-studio script editor? Hence, why don’t you just add support/integration for 3rd party script-editors…? (Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel)

@VSCPlays Rojo is not integrated natively into Studio, it is an external plugin.

2 Likes

Great question / point.

It’s not always that easy to just create API-s for functionality; in case of the Mini-map plugin, the API-s were already there and they seem sufficient.

For the Script Editor functionality, there are community-based partial solutions based on insufficient API-s and given how many people are asking for this still, there is ongoing discussion about how this should be better achieved.

For continuing to develop Script Editor, generally it’s a good idea to have sensible defaults for core functionality for people who are just getting started (for example all OS-es have Mail, Notepad, etc) and then provide options for extension.

Having default implementations is also super useful to validate / test the APIs for creating replacement solutions.

Hope this makes sense.

7 Likes

Bug: Shift + MouseWheel is overriding the default horizontal scrolling behaviour

I love the cursor feature, but the scrolling bar behaviour isn’t right anymore.
When you scroll on the X axis in a script using Shift + MouseWheel, it doesn’t scroll left to right, but therefore up and down, with a larger increment.
I know that the alt key is now used to scroll left and right, but it’s not usual for this purpose.

Thanks.

3 Likes