Multi-Cursor Script Editing: Now in Beta!

Nevermind. Also it’s pretty useful when you want to add multiple things at the same time. So you don’t have to first type something, then click somewhere… then type… click… Even copy/pasting takes more time than using this feature.

I don’t think you would use it but I would. Some of my things is repetive… idk.

5 Likes

I think copy pasting is faster, it might be only me tho

6 Likes

You can try using multi-cursor but at the end of the day, it’s all about preferences.

5 Likes

Yea, I’ll probably try it when it comes out of beta

6 Likes

Amazing!!! Good multicursor is the tool I miss the most on a regular basis. Refactoring many structured tables with multicursor is a dream.

Big ++ to improvements that bring integration with ctrl+F. Looking forward to it.

5 Likes

This update is amazing, thank you so much! I love how closely it matches VSCode so it’s easy to swap between the two.

Nobody actually uses multicursor to write the same block of code multiple times. Multicursor is all about streamlining the process of refactoring similar but not identical lines of code.
Say I wanted to move all of these actions into a subfolder within actions - I could manually click after each “actions.” and type the name of the subfolder, or I could hold alt, click all 3 in rapid succession, and then type the name of the subfolder only once.

Or say I made it so “actions” was actually a module containing the actions as functions instead of their own separate modules that have to be required - I could remove all the usages of “require” by double-clicking “require”, pressing Ctrl+D twice to select the other two instances of it, then Shift+Right to select the opening brackets, hit backspace, then hit Ctrl+Right to jump all the cursors to the end of the line and press backspace to delete the closing brackets.

Double-click
Ctrl+D
Shift+Right
Backspace
Ctrl+Right
Backspace

What makes this so streamlined is that the initial double-click is the only action that involves the mouse - the less you move your hands between the mouse and the keyboard, the better.

12 Likes

Amazing update! Before this, refactoring bits of code was nothing short of tedious and was all the more laborious. It sort of felt like this punishment.
I’d probably have RSI in my wrist had I not utilized the arrow keys to navigate as often as I do.

11 Likes

This is awesome! This is definitely going to help with receptive lines, overall very excited to use this.

4 Likes

very goofy feature but HELPS a lot for our development so we dont have to sacrifice lots of time for some random same text debugging

4 Likes

roblox started making good updates long time ago my guy

6 Likes

This is an update I never would’ve expected, but as a scripter, thanks! It’s definitely something I won’t use the most, but something that will be helpful from time to time, like if I want to copy and paste a section of code that defines a new instance and changes properties; I could easily change the variable name.

4 Likes

This update is amazing! Huge thanks to the roblox staff people who did it…We should get a rework of the studio top bar (where scripts go), because it’s very old and outdated…

5 Likes

Incredible!! The Studio editor is becoming a stronger development tool with every new feature added, and is only going to become more competitive with other professionally used development editors.
Multiple cursors and the other features associated with them are things I use all the time in my main editor of choice (VSCode), and I can’t wait to try them out in Studio!

5 Likes

Yea ummm.
My 3060 is not a big fan of that feature.
If I disable the beta feature it’s all good.
However when enabled, as soon as I open up a script, my GPU’s fans start running.

8 Likes

Great work! This may save people lots of time!

4 Likes

Seems like a convoluted UX to help people change bad code. If you need to change more than one line simultaneously then you should really be considering refactoring your code and not just using multiple cursors.

5 Likes

I do like a lot of the updates roblox does. But, most are small. Not trying to make it seem like I hate the platform I’ve been on for years!

5 Likes

This is awesome! Seeing as the Text editor is becoming more and more feature rich, any chance of getting some kind of vim mode? Would definitely love to make use of those vim keybinds lol.

4 Likes

You should organize your tables with commas and semicolons. Readability is a contributing factor to maintainability.

4 Likes

I don’t think you understand the purpose of this update. Other IDEs (all other IDEs) have this. It’s to quickly change multiple lines where Replace All does not help or becomes too challenging to use. It’s not a matter of if the code is not organized, or hard to read!

9 Likes