Multi-Cursor Script Editing: Now in Beta!

You do have to take into account they release weekly updates so you can’t expect all of it to be a massive one

5 Likes

You could’ve double:drum::drum: clicked to select a word, then paste the new word; that’d of been my control group in this scenario, but then the time/effort difference wouldn’t’ve been as substantial.

6 Likes

Then imagine a scenario where you’re renaming several variables:

local function example(object_name, object_size, object_color)

If you want to change object_ to item_, double-clicking would not work. But you’re right, I forgot about it because I generally just use multicursor.

8 Likes

Thank you for this great update!

I usually wait until the full release of a beta due to many opt-in’s not working in a live game, but I see no reason to delay on this one.

Agreed. I never immediately know exactly how I want to solve a problem. I come up with a generalized idea, then try it; and usually end up with something completely different due to unexpected factors. This means I make changes quite often to account for the names of my variables as I have learned a while ago that having old, inaccurate descriptive names can lead to confusion. This update can streamline the process when dealing with reoccurring variables instead of ctrl + c/ctrl + v’ing everything or using find/replace, which has its uses, but it’s usually slower than copy/pasting.

6 Likes

Thank you everyone for your work bringing this feature to us in the Roblox Studio script editor!
We’ll have fewer reasons to copy code between studio and Sublime Text now.

So far there’s one issue we immediately noticed.
When holding control and using the arrow keys to navigate the cursor through the text, the cursor moves to the beginning of the next token rather than the end of the current token.

This means we can’t reach the end of a variable name with that annoying extra whitespace when moving across.

If this were to work the same way in studio as it does in sublime, editing the ends of variables would be easier.

Hope this gets fixed before release, thanks again!

13 Likes

Great change! This is such an improvement to the editor that will improve the scripting process majorly. Definetely will be using this to improve my workflow.

5 Likes

WOW! Great Job Roblox! Finally you would become a pop editor as expected.

5 Likes

the perk of it is that if u copy and paste lines of code but u made a mistake on all of them (forget a quotation on a string value. then you can correct it easier.

but u wouldn’t be able to do something like “variable 1” “variable 2” “variable 3” that will still have to be done by hand. but still this is a useful update

2 Likes

If they would make it so you would. E able to do like in the first mouse write 1, second 2 etc. it would solve the problem

3 Likes

FINALLY!!! Now I don’t have to use VSCode.

3 Likes

That’s a very niche problem though.

2 Likes

It actually is, it’s pretty hard to script I think but it would be great to have! If we had it I would certainly use this more often (if I will ever use it)

2 Likes

it’s more easier to debug now and changing loads of parts

100/50

3 Likes

Finally got some Visual Studio features up in here. Good work guys in the back!

1 Like

This is fantastic!! Makes everything so much more easier

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve never had to reformat or add fields to structured tables, or process large data into another format or adjust syntax, or make sweeping name format changes, etc. There’s a reason why this is a beloved feature in powerful text editors and some IDEs.

E.g. some videos here demonstrate use cases. Script editor multi-cursor

3 Likes

Yes! The update I was waiting for! VSCode had this feature, but when I used the Roblox script editor, I thought something was lacking. And THIS feature was lacking! And right now I’m feeling so happy! Hope to see it go public soon so that people who are not in the Beta program can use it too, it’s an absolute time saver! But I have to memorize all these new key binds tho.

1 Like

YESS!!! Been waiting for this for ages!

1 Like

I’m always really glad to see the Roblox team improving our built in tools! Congratulations to the team that out this together, and keep up the awesome work.

I’m just slightly worried that improvements to the built in code editor could be used as an argument not to work on support for external IDEs.

3 Likes

This is one of the most useful features when it comes to scripting, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time now.

Thank you!

2 Likes