Multi-Cursor Script Editing: Now in Beta!

It would be really nice if Alt + Click to place a cursor, could instead be Alt + Drag Click, to place multiple cursors whereever the mouse goes. This is of course, a feature in VSC that I’d love to have!

Thanks for your input.

2 Likes

We are currently working on a Column/Block Select feature for the Full Release of Multi-Cursor Script Editing!

3 Likes

Guys why don’t you just support 3rd party tooling instead of re inventing the wheel? Or at least do both?

1 Like

i dont think its a bug … i mean it does makes sense to freeze if you have 10000 cursors!!!

1 Like

This is more for fixing things when you have a variable name change as example, instead of having to find each use of a variable, you can just find one case and retype

Example for the initial post

2 Likes

Yes, I uncovered where this would be useful a few days ago :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this is amazing news! I can’t wait to try out the Multi-Cursor Script Editing beta and see how much faster and efficient coding can be with this new feature. Thank you to the Roblox Studio team and developers who worked hard on this update, Cant wait! :fire: :fire: :fire:

For example, nested tables would get a semicolon, but any other value would get a comma. This is solely personal preference, I just think it looks cleaner.

local tbl = {
  somekey = "a string",
  somekey2 = 69,
  somenestedtable = {
    value,
    value,
  }; <-- the semicolon
  somevector3 = Vector3.one,
}

A recent problem I’ve encountered is shortcut conflicts with studio workspace.

I want to use Ctrl + D to select identical words while in the script editor with the multi-cursor feature.

However, I still want to use Ctrl + D to duplicate models while in studio workspace and these two actions should not be mutually exclusive to each other.

Currently setting one to Ctrl + D will cause the other action to be cleared with no warning.
Will there be a way to allow both of these actions to bind to the same shortcut keys?

For me, I find this useful when I need to adjust the indentation of many variable definitions; I like to keep most equal signs aligned horizontally, but sometimes, I need to later add more indentation to lines like the ones in this screenshot:
Manually, moving to each line and indenting them one at a time wastes time. With multiple cursors, I just ALT-click before each equals sign, then I can indent all of them at the same time.

2 Likes

Hi, this is on our roadmap, however it’s part of a bigger project that makes it possible to have keyboard shortcuts be context aware (for example a set of shortcuts in the Explorer Tree, a possibly overlapping set in the Script Editor, a possibly overlapping set in the Toolbox, etc) so it’s not going to be as straightforward as we liked.

1 Like

By default these 2 actions should both have Ctrl+D assigned to them and they should both work. But the customize shortcuts window does not currently support setting 2 actions to have the same shortcut. If you don’t have a lot of custom shortcuts, resetting everything to default should fix it.

1 Like

This is because you selected the line break, You had 2 lines selected instead of just Print hello world and you tried to move it where it already existed. Select the ) and hold click then go to the p in print(“Hello world!”) Double clicking will also select the line below it.

2 Likes

This bug was fixed a while ago, I guess I’ll edit the post so others do not think it’s an ongoing issue.

The bug completely prevented anything from being moved to a different line regardless of what was selected or how it was selected (even double-clicking a variable name and attempting to move it wouldn’t work); the bug only occurred when the Multi-Cursor beta was enabled. That being said, I’m assuming the line break is added in the selection to prevent leftover whitespace when selecting this way. You can easily see this works for yourself by creating three lines of code, triple-clicking the middle line and drag-dropping it elsewhere. It’s currently not possible to reproduce what was seen in the bug report.

1 Like

--#region support when!?
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

1 Like

This update increases my speed of working with lines where I need to make repetitive changes so much. This update is such a great one in terms of making studio better. The only thing I could think of after this is built in compatibility to replace Rojo.

Great Update Roblox :+1:

I didn’t even notice it come out until today.

1 Like

Something that would also be awesome would be to have literally multiple cursors for windows. like right now i have to move my cursor over so i can copy id and put it in my script (or just add bulk insert or video support but ig i’m asking for too much)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.