Multi-Cursor Script Editing: Now in Beta!

Like what? They probably wouldn’t know it existed until they are experienced enough anyway.

3 Likes

Hey, this change broke selecting + dragging the selection. E.g. if you select the text, click and hold on the text, and drag to another location, the text does not move.

2 Likes

True, but they might just copy and paste code more instead of using functions.

1 Like

Nice! It gives more of a Visual Studio Code feel. It also helps enhance workflows and I just love it.

4 Likes

Wonderful update, people may not see it now, but it has great potential to improve editing in long scripts.

2 Likes

I made 10,000 cursors and pressed enter and studio froze lol

5 Likes

Thank you for the bug report! We will work on fixing it.

4 Likes

Thank you for checking out multi-cursor and taking the time to write up a thoughtful feedback on possible improvements. As this feature is in Beta, this is the time for us to collect feedback like yours and act upon bugs and also the most requested set of improvements.

While you continue to test the feature, I would like to draw attention to Roblox Studio’s current ability to customize keyboard shortcuts: for example to customize the cursor shortcuts, you can go to the File Menu / Advanced / Customize Shortcuts... and type cursor. Double click the shortcut, right click in the edit field that shows up and select Clear Shortcut. Then you can define your own shortcut by pressing the desired set of keys.

We’re already looking at ways to make shortcuts more discoverable and welcome ideas along those lines.

There is also a mid-term plan to make the keyboard shortcut experience better. We would love to hear more suggestions about how it can improve.

For the visual indication, and the keyboard navigation-based addition of cursors, please let us know if you have examples of this behavior. We currently think having the text cursor is good for most users but again, we’re open to suggestions.

For disabling multi-cursor, ideally not adding any should default to that behavior; is there a use case where we would need to explicitly disable the feature?

Again, thank you for your feedback, and we added these ideas onto our list of possible improvements.

4 Likes

That’s a good catch. It behaves the same on any number of characters whenever there is a space after any number (or string… word?)

Both Sublime Text & Visual Studio Code set the cursor to be positioned after the last letter when doing Ctrl + →

However, Roblox seems to handle this properly with Ctrl + ←

First Ctrl + →, and then Ctrl + ←

RobloxMultiCursorBetaBug

2 Likes

Nice update! Excited to try this new highly requested feature!

1 Like

I am happy about the text replacement feature but I do not think I will be using the much.

1 Like

Beginners can already copy-paste code, and they could already use the find-and-replace feature. If anything, they will just find these keyboard shortcuts too in-depth and intimidating and won’t try to use or learn them.

I don’t think the vast majority of programmers will learn all of Studio’s keyboard shortcuts before learning basic coding practices, and that is my personal experience with software in general.

2 Likes

This could be unrelated, but a bug showed up in the explorer after this update. When duplicating an object and renaming it, it starts renaming the object you cloned, and not the new cloned object. It looks like it’s renaming the object that is not selected. I’ll try to rememebrer to attach a video to this later.

1 Like

Thanks for catching this! We are working on fixing this right now :))

3 Likes

Hi, if you could attach a video for this, that would be amazing! We will look into this.

5 Likes

I’m using F2 to rename the instance!

3 Likes

Thank you! We’ve forwarded this bug to the relevant team :slight_smile:

4 Likes

this is a neat feature but… who the hell would use this in a realistic scenario?

1 Like

Sorry for the past criticising, now I just found out a use case for it, very thanks!

2 Likes

Unorganized scripts, that’s for sure.

2 Likes