Multi-mesh importing, being able to upload multiple meshes at once

@GuestCapone Sorry, as I’ve said I simply found it. Saved the original formatting though, so I’ll edit that in now.

@Corecii Almost. With that one, you specify which place is the output folder, while with what I have was just ever so slightly edited from a script to export everything to .obj.

1 Like

Support!

1 Like

Support for this!

1 Like

Not being able to upload multiple meshes at once is an embarrassment. Please fix this!

3 Likes

I defintley support this. I often make tons of meshes too, in fact, I sometimes go up to making about 80 separate meshes just for one model! Imagine the time I spend making multiple models, and not just a few once in a while…

But as much as a feature like this could be extremely helpful and time saving, I would like to also suggest something here.

Meshes that are uploaded should take the name of the fbx file you’re uploading from. If you already noticed, if you use a name or term that is inappropriate in ROBLOX’s standards, you are already prompted that you can’t use that name when uploading a mesh. This means they can already prevent certain meshes from uploading, or at least prompting you change it or terminate the upload process entirely.

Why do I think this will also be helpful? It’s simple.

1. It keeps your meshes organized by name, it’s generally hard to find a specific mesh using workspace (obviously you can do this visually, unless the meshes are bunched up in a small area and the collision box is overlapping other meshes making it impossible to select specific meshes).

2. You’re going to name your meshes anyway. Uploading meshes seperatley is tedious enough. Naming them is not any less tedious.

3. This will be extremely useful for animators. When rigging a model, you are required to make every movable part named differently, otherwise the animation plugin (even blender) Will be confused and disable one joint while the other is active, and me personally, I’m talking about a scale between 30 to 80 meshes to upload. I name them already when exporting, but again while uploading? C’mon!

3 Likes

I’ve wanted this for a very long time. This would assist in so many ways it would be completely revolutionary - I’d be able to make an extremely detailed, realistic building in less than 15 minutes. To save the moderators a large hassle, perhaps batched meshes could only be uploaded to roblox in a max. part count of 50 per batch, then the rest of the meshes are queued to be uploaded in 20 minutes. The developer would see them, so they could keep working on their game regardless, but it won’t be submitted for moderation until 20 minutes later when he has another batch import available. This way, workflow isn’t interrupted, but roblox admins don’t have dry eyes spamming the “Accept” button to millions of shapes. Not only would everyone be happy, but since the meshes don’t submit until 20 minutes has passed, other assets, such as decals, would have a fair chance of the developer seeing them quickly.

What about the 50/20 meter I was talking about? Then all spamming would hurt is the developer.

This reminds me of my post about collision meshes… :thinking:

Well the spamming would be done by bots, so any spamming would hurt the moderators. And maybe a limit of like 5-10, 50 and 20 is still a lot.

Idk they never allowed us to upload multiple of anything so I dont have high hopes for this as well.

There is a plugin on chrome that lets you upload multiple decals, though this may just be a for loop that clicks the button for you. Oh well. Maybe since meshes are generally separated by nature, one would have a better case with meshes than anything else. Another thing is that the moderators could view each group of ~20 meshes at once, so they could see what it’s supposed to make instead of each piece individually. Of course the problem with this is that someone will obviously just put their nasty content into a box that surrounds it, so perhaps on the piece of software they use for moderation, a viewport up top would show the meshes put together, and on the bottom row a line of each mesh individually to see if anything stands out. Also, the idea of putting something in a box would be about the same risk they’re taking right now, so I’m sure they’ve found a way around it by now. Polygon count is also a large tell tale there is something hiding in the box…

Any status on this staff?

3 Likes

I second that, any updates?

1 Like

Bumping this. I’m trying to import my plane and I have more than 20 meshes to import. God forbid I make a mistake.

3 Likes

I feel you, I recently had to import over 90 separate meshes for one model, I was lucky I made no mistakes otherwise it would have been the end of me x.x

Edit: I do this mainly for color separation and for the sake of animating multiple joints, not because it’s a huge mesh or anything.

1 Like

this should be a thing

3 Likes

this needs to be a thing for the sanity and quality of roblox developers and their games smh

1 Like

Can we get a staff response on this thread? How feasible is this requested feature? Is it a possibility in the near future? Not having this really cuts down on our developer efficiency, especially for our builders and modellors.

2 Likes

I think this was discussed at RDC

2 Likes

Any more detail on that?

Update: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/bulk-import-studio-beta-release/190104

1 Like