Multiple Pets GUI Problems

1. What do you want to achieve?
    Pet Inventory UI Text Status become to “UNEQUIP” upon player joins (data store equipped pets)

2. What is the issue?
    For some example, player joined with 3 pets (data store equipped pets) 1 Bunny and 2 other is Dog. I wanna make the Pet UI text status became “UNEQUIP”. But the problem is

Remember I said 2 dogs? Yes as you can see on the photo, only 1 frame UI pet text status became “UNEQUIP”. I want the other one become “UNEQUIP” too.

1. What solutions have you tried so far?
    I have tried like Searching on social media, changing some codes methods. But none of them would work.
game.ReplicatedStorage["Pets&EggFolder"].Remotes.PetsSelectedRE.OnClientEvent:Connect(function(PetName)

PetModule:AddPet(PetName) -- Equip Pet
	limitation.Value += 1 -- Adds up limitation value

game.ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("Pets&EggFolder"):WaitForChild("Remotes").ClickPlusRE:FireServer(PetName, true)
	tablePets[#tablePets+1] = PetName
    -- Below lines is the problem
	PetUI.ScrollingFrame[PetName].EquipButton.Text = "UNEQUIP" 
	PetUI.ScrollingFrame[PetName].EquipButton.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(255, 0, 0)
end)

Any helps are appreciated

1 Like

Calling them like that will always return the first child of that name. You’ll have to loop through all of the children. It would be best to send all pets at once in a list then you can do this

local function petsEquipped(petsList)
    local pets = {} --I’m changing how the table stores the information. You could do this on the server instead.
    for _, petName in pairs(petList) do
        pets[petName] = (pets[petName] or 0) + 1 --Increment pet name if it exists, or create it if it doesn’t.
    end

--Now pets[name] is equal to the amount of pets they have of that name.

for _, ui in pairs(PetUI.ScrollingFrame:GetChildren()) do
        if pets[ui.Name] and pets[ui.Name] > 0 then
            ui.EquipButton.Text = "UNEQUIP"
            ui.EquipButton.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(255, 0, 0)
            pets[ui.Name]-=1
        end
    end
end

Alright thanks for the help. I will try to do it. If I ticked your message as a solution then that means it’s working.

It is worth noting if you want to send them one at a time however you can do something similar, just loop through all the frames until you hit the first frame with the name of the pet that isn’t already set to “UNEQUIP”

Tried this method but doesn’t work.
here’s the updated one

game.ReplicatedStorage["Pets&EggFolder"].Remotes.PetsSelectedRE.OnClientEvent:Connect(function(PetName)
	local petsCollected = {}

for _, child in pairs(PetsFolder:GetChildren()) do
		petsCollected[child] = (petsCollected[child] or 0) + 1
	end

PetModule:AddPet(PetName)
	limitation.Value += 1

for _, ui in pairs(PetUI.ScrollingFrame:GetChildren()) do
		if petsCollected[ui.Name] and petsCollected[ui.Name] > 0 then
			ui.EquipButton.Text = "UNEQUIP"
			ui.EquipButton.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(255, 0, 0)
			petsCollected[ui.Name] -= 1
		end
	end

game.ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild("Pets&EggFolder"):WaitForChild("Remotes").ClickPlusRE:FireServer(PetName, true)
end)
1 Like

I have tried this one also, but ended up doesn’t set pets status to “UNEQUIP”

Assuming you’re sending one pet at a time (sorry for flipping between data communication expectations again)

PetModule:AddPet(PetName) -- Equip Pet
	limitation.Value += 1 -- Adds up limitation value

tablePets[#tablePets+1] = PetName
    -- Below lines is the problem
    local container = nil --Check to see if there is a child of PetUI.ScrollingFrame that hasn't been equipped yet.
    for _, v in pairs(PetUI.ScrollingFrame:GetChildren()) do
        if v.Name == PetName and v.EquipButton.Text ~= "UNEQUIP" then
            container = v
            break
        end
    end
    if container then
	    container.EquipButton.Text = "UNEQUIP" 
	    container.EquipButton.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.fromRGB(255, 0, 0)
    else
        error("You don't have enough children of ScrollingFrame named " .. PetName .. " that aren't currently equipped")
    end
end)

Hopefully that works

Usually when I’m dealing with inventory type stuff I actually assign each item an ID so that I can just tell the client what is happening to ID rather than by name which removes identical naming errors. That takes a bit more to setup though and isn’t ideal for every situation.

Alright its working pretty well now thank you so much for helping me and I have a question

What is the purposes of putting break?
I’ve seen alot peoples do this could you explain to me?

Break is actually really simple. Take any loop and if it hits the line break it will terminate the loop and move on to the next line

for i=1, 5 do
    if i > 3 then
        break
    end
end
print("loop ended")

The code above would print 1 2 3 “loop ended”. It wouldn’t print 4 or 5 because when it hit 4 it hit the break statement which jumped the code past the loop.

So in my code

for _, v in pairs(PetUI.ScrollingFrame:GetChildren()) do

end

That loop is going to go through every child of ScrollingFrame. Once it finds a valid answer it sets container to that answer so the next part of the code can use it. The problem? Lets say we had 500,000 children in ScrollingFrame for some reason. Now it just so happens that the first child passes the if statement and is acceptable to be used in the next part of code. Instead of moving on like any human would, the computer just goes through every child in the list like you told it to despite having the data you’re looking for. Instead of potentially wasting that much computer power it’s best just to stop the loop once it has gotten an acceptable answer. There are other cases where going past the first acceptable answer can break a program, but this example instead of setting container equal to the first valid answer and moving on, the code would just check all of them and give you the last valid answer if the break wasn’t there. Which would work of course, but is a waste.

For another example

while true do
    print("HI")
    break
end
print("loop ended")

This will print “HI” “loop ended”. Not a practical example, but despite the fact that otherwise that loop would be infinite, the break will terminate it.
Another keyword for more loop control is ‘continue’. What continue means is, skip the rest of the code for this iteration and move to the next.

for i = 1, 5 do
    if i == 3 then
        continue
    end
    print(i)
end
print("loop ended")

Which would print: 1 2 4 5 “loop ended” since it hit the continue keyword on 3 which told it to go back to the top again at 4. Again my example is not the most practical, but a good example of exactly what it’s doing.

Ah I see what’s the point of putting “break” inside for i v loops. I might use this method on other stuffs and it’s making scripting more better. Very informative stuffs :+1::heavy_check_mark:

I might wanna learn back how for i v loops works. Haven’t script for so long.

Thank you for helping me on this case. I’ve been thinking how can I do this. At least I got to learn something like how “break” works inside for i loops and “continue”

I appreciated your help bro! Have a nice day :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Just keep in mind break and continue work in all loops not just for loops. It works in while and repeat loops as well.

1 Like