"MultiThreaded" server vs "normal" server

Hello,

I am curious to know which would be better for performance.
So for this I will be using a “stat” script as the example

The stat script controls stats for each players character, it will control things like:

1. Stamina
  2. Health/Regeneration
  3. Hunger
  4. Thirst
    And so on

So when I say a multithreaded server I mean having a different script and different actor PER player
When I say a normal server I mean having 1 script, not in an actor controlling every players stats

Which would be better for performance?

1 Like

You can check out the following post :

In my opinion, having many scripts running at once can slow down the performance of the server, but the thing that matters is what is inside of the scripts.

Well I know about that but this is different since it would be mutli threaded and have different actors

I had something else that was simulating gravity, it was super laggy and switching over to multiple scripts and a different actor per part helped performance a TON, so im not sure if that applies here too

Nobody can answer this question for you, you’d have to implement both and compare them.

That being said… single-threaded solutions are usually fast enough and are much simpler to reason about and write correctly. I would definitely suggest a single-threaded solution first and only consider changing if there is a clear need and you have evidence that parallelizing it would improve the situation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.