Murder Mystery Server status

In murder mystery 2 there’s this sign that says if the server is updated or not (i don’t know why it is not working in the image)

And i want to do something simmilar in my game, how can i do that?

3 Likes

I’ve rarely played MM2 before so I’m not sure how they exactly do it, but I’m sure a simple SurfaceGUI TextLabel that you manually change every update could do the trick.

1 Like

This is indeed a pretty cool freature to add in a game!

There’s alot of ways to do this too, i hope im not overcomplicating this but one could use HttpService and a glot.io page you could GetAsync() with the page on every server every ~10 minutes or so and check if the version number on the server is < than the one on the glot if it is then its not updated if it is equal then the server is updated.

You’d need to change the version on the glot.io everytime you updated the game by the way.

Edit:i mistyped glot

A simple way of doing this is to have a value in your game (Could be in ServerStorage or ReplicatedStorage) with the version number. Then, in a Firebase Server (Check it out here: [Open Source] FirebaseService) you have a version number in a string. Then, in a while loop, you check to see if the version numbers are equal. If they are, the version is up to date. If it isn’t, the game’s server is not up to date.

I was looking to do something similar but felt that Firebase’s limits were too little to accomplish this on larger scale games with thousands of servers unless I am misinformed, I would suggest against using it. There’s probably a method that involves using this.

1 Like

Just make a surface GUI with a TextLabel and edit it everytime there’s an update.

That isn’t what OP is looking for.
I suggest using messaging service to update every running server with the new server version, and display “Not latest update” if the server version isn’t equal to the latest version.

How about do this with datastore?

When a server starts, it records the version (like devs use v. 1.1, 1.2, etc). Then there will be a 10-15 seconds period of checking the datastore. If the current version in the server doesn’t match the datastore, then you can change the GUI.

The only manual thing you have to do is to update the datastore. This can easily be done by updating the datastore in-game or in studio.