Music Feedback - Retro Mario Kirby Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) Style Music

Hey guys!
I been working super hard on my latest game - which is going to be like a Mario/NES 8bit retro platformer thinggy…

So basically Super Mario Maker but on Roblox with pixel art / sprite editing…

The thing I’m looking for feedback on is the custom music I’ve written so far…

I’ve been using FamiStudio which is a free bit of music production software that emulates the 4 audio channel power of the NES! So everything I’ve created could theoretically be played back identically on a 40 year old gaming system… which i thought was kinda cool and really supports the retro aesthetic…

I’ve really enjoyed playing around with this mostly cos of how restricted it is - it totally stops you from putting in hundreds of instruments or messing about with super complex harmonies.

See only 4 tracks, 2 square wave generators, one triangle wave generator, and like a weird noise channel people use to make almost drum loops out of…

I’m not a professional musician or anything - all I’ve done is try to learn some theory off YT, and have always been concerned I’m tone deaf, so I’d really like to know how they turned out.

My Main Title Theme:

Options/Misc Menu Theme:

Beach Theme:

City Theme:

Space Theme:

GrassLand Theme:

GhostHouse Theme:

Pyramid Theme:

Anyways hope you enjoy - Hope your games are going well
Peace Out

Link to software in-case you wanna make some retro music goodness too

Plus check out my other game here:

11 Likes
  • Good
  • Bad
  • Needs Work

0 voters

2 Likes

Cool i’ll take that as a yes then… :smiley:
Tho whoever said “needs work” can you please point me in the direction of the fix? THX

I honestly love these pieces. Love how you change the beat in the main theme so it doesnt get repetitive.

Good job man!

1 Like

Woo thank you loads dude! lol yeah i just couldnt resist suddenly going hardcore rave halfway through XD

1 Like

Finished another track - I think this one is gonna get used for the options menus and stuff like that…

1 Like

This is really good, love how it actually sounds like it would be on a nostalgic retro game that would have existed. (City them is by far my favorite and this new one too.)

1 Like

Thanks loads dude - im really enjoying making them, working on the space theme now :smiley:

1 Like

I actually loveeeeeeeeee this
I could imagine this piece in a nintendo game tbh. I loveveveveeveve it

Seriously, good job

1 Like

It’s very good.

Both the art and music are good, better than what I can do making a pixel-like game.

The music sounds very good, it fits the images you showed above.

3 Likes

Just wait till its finished its a way more powerful engine than you woulda first thought…

Space Theme I think… Would love feedback thx :smiley:

1 Like

lol it takes ages to make music :stuck_out_tongue: least i got quite a bit of coding done inbetween
Would love opinions on new song thanks :slight_smile:

Got the haunted house/spooky theme done i think… Feedback is always appreciated…

Pyramid theme - Lol this one took ages…

Sorry if I am a tad late to this, but yeah, this song checks out.

I have to say that 0:32 caught me off guard, it’s probably one of the best melodies I’ve ever heard.

1:48 is a pretty good part, but I think it might need to be mixed better. There’s a lot of instruments playing at the same volume (or it sounds that way, at least) and I think some instruments need to be dialed back on the volume a bit. At 2:11, there’s so much chaos, that you have to play a REALLY LOUD instrument just to make it stand out. And I think it’d feel so much more natural if, again, you mixed the song and made the more important instruments louder, while the less important one (like the telephone, arpeggio-like sound) is quieter.

Either way, the song is GREAT! It just needs some better mixing. Or maybe correct me if I’m wrong, I’m not much of a professional.

1 Like

I love this one. Can’t say there are any flaws, phenomenal. Also there is just something about 1:16 that I like a lot. Either way, great work!

1 Like

Thanks dude really helps alot v useful feedback - yeh i def think i need to remix the second part