Music Theory: Time Signature's Part 2

Welcome to Music Theory!

This is the Advanced Time Signature’s. Read The Basic if you haven’t “Music Theory: Time Signature’s Part 1”. Anyways this Forum Post will be only about of two things. What time signature to use(and there importance), and triplets/quadruplets/quintuplets. As always if you have a question comments below for questions and help. This was also helped by Wikipedia. As Tchaikovsky once said “inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy” :wink:

Triplets, Quadruplets, Quintuplets and So On…

Triplets/Quadruplets/Quintuplets and so forth are whenever a beat is dived in such in different ways. For example I decide for a two “parts” a two regular half notes and a two half notes that is going to be dived in triplets in 4/4 time. If we were to put them side by side then you would notes that they are not going at the same speed. Since there are 3 half note triples is not equal to two regular half notes.

Why should you care and how does it help with music?

You should care about Time signature? Time signature indicate rhythmic information that can only work in one time signature’s. It can help keep track of a piece, like in measure six the music is off. In short Time signature are a pattern of beats.

Here are time to use the most:

1. 4/4 Time or Common Time used in Country, Pop, Blue and more.
  2. 3/4 Time is used in Waltz, Minuet, Scherzo, Polonaise, Mazurka, Western ballads.
  3. 2/4 Time is used in Polkas, Galops, and March’s
  4. 2/2 Time or Alla breve is used in Marche’s or in Fast Orchestra Time
  5. 3/8 Time is used fast past time such as cachucha
  6. 6/8 Time is used in variety of things such as jigs, polkas, march’s, loures and more.
  7. 9/8 Time or Compound Triple Time is used in slip jig and lullabies
  8. 12/8 Time is Common for slower blue’s and doo-wop

In Conclusion:

Time Signature’s are very, very important things to learn in music theory. Keep practice until you master it. Feel free to ask any question below. And as always “inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy”.

Did You Understand?
  • Yes.
  • Almost.
  • Partially.
  • No.

0 voters

2 Likes

Also, I won’t talk anymore about time signature’s I believe they reached there importance to be talked about.

1 Like

Personal opinion, I would have saved triplets and other rhythm values for a topic digging into rhythm values. I think you’ve said everything that has to be said with time signatures in the first post as there’s only so much to be said and only so much to be shown with them.

Mentioning the triplets and rhythmic values this early in could actually cause a bit of confusion. I myself was taken off guard seeing them talked about in a post on time signatures. So I don’t know whether you’d want to omit that part completely or add a bit more clear examples to it. But, again, it should be left to a topic dedicated to rhythm values.

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation, I will change it soon.

@hollaquetalBRUH

What do you need help with?