My account was disabled, Lego Copyright

Please do not take legal advise from forum members.

3 Likes

You may have misunderstood my intention. I had no intention of seeking legal advice from forum members. I asked @Kitty_Nattily just in case so that I could better weigh up my chances before getting an email from lego.

I think I’ll wait a while longer before I ask a lawyer for advice until Lego has responded. maybe it will not be necessary after all and lego and I will come to an agreement.

1 Like

I seem to think you have forgotten, you only received a warning.

We all get warned for things, simple.

Want to avoid your account being deleted?
Do not copy brand names, and do not monetise it either.

I did not get a clear answer about this before.
Do you mean not gaining any robux from the bricks, or is it still viable to buy ingame currency to unlock bricks faster?

If you can purchase anything from your game, it is commercial use. Whether any game is commercial use because Premium payouts exist is a story for another time, but besides that, you shouldn’t be using other people’s intellectual property (IP) without permission, even if its use is non-commercial.

Wait for a response from Lego. If they say no (honestly, they probably will), don’t use Lego’s IP.

1 Like

Monetising a game with copyrighted assets is asking for an account deletion. I’m referencing a few games here, in particular, the infamous PBB.

Commercialality is not a factor of copyright fair use. Transformability is. You need to change it to be parodying or mocking the original.

1 Like

I have finally got a response from Lego. This is the respone I got.

This is a link from the mail if you are curious.

Fair Play Policy: Fair Play - Notices & Policies - Legal - LEGO.com US

I have already read the Fair Play Policy, so I think I should get in contact with a lawyer and I will find out what is possible. I will keep you guys updated about this.

4 Likes

Must’ve been a mistake?

I don’t see how this could’ve happened if someone really took a good look at it.

didn’t see the response from lego, now my post is obsolete

I just avoid using any brands in my games, I feel like copyright is such a tough subject to tackle (for me anyway) that I just avoid it entirely. Hope everything is cool though dude!

1 Like

I believe when ROBLOX was starting up in its early days probably when it was called Dynablocks attempted to use round studs similar to those used by the Lego company.

The company was eventually contacted and forced to change hence why we now have the square pieces used today.

For more information on Lego’s copyright policy.
https://www.lego.com/en-my/service/help-topics/fun-for-fans/behind-the-scenes/our-company/commercial-use-of-lego-products

It even states on the website that they do not prohibit individuals and companies that use its trademarks like the 2x4 brick and building instructions and parts.

Roblox *

Source? I believe this is just an urban legend.

It’s on the fandom. They were forced to change it to avoid copyright troubles.

If they design looks exactly like a lego brick, you will get a copy write claim

I asked my question at clinic.nl and finally got a response. This is what she said to me.

The logo and brand should not be used with the bricks, because you do not work together with lego and did not get permission (There was nothing in the mail that said I had permission to use any bricks

).

The lego building blocks lost patent as said earlier. This means everyone could use the shape of the building bricks, but not the same colors (you have to distance yourself from lego). I asked in what way I have to change the color to not be the same as the lego brick colors. She said pastel colors are safe, but there are no specific rules about the difference a color should be. So there are no specific bounderies for changing color based on RGB or HEX until it is safe or not. Also adding your own logo on your bricks are also helpfull to create distance of lego. Do both then it would be safe to use the lego building bricks.

I have also asked about other lego brick shapes like helmets and wheels, etc. Just in case. She said this is an even more gray area, because some objects like a cap do not have patent, because of the shape, but other objects do have patent. Because it is complicated, its better to create your own shapes to be on the safe side.

The lego minifig is also not possible to use. You have to change it until it does not look like the lego minifig.

My advice if you are not sure about certain things I mentioned or something else, ask a lawer for advice just to be safe.

5 Likes

I just got this mail from unity!

It seems Lego is being less concerned about Lego type games. This sounds really positive. I have no idea which bricks are in Unity and what is possible and allowed, but it is certainly an interesting development.

1 Like

This’d be a partnership between LEGO and Unity. It does not give you the right to use LEGO in Roblox games or outside of Unity and LEGO’s guidelines.

Just make an original game man, it’s not that hard. Respect intellectual property.

1 Like

What are you talking about? I didn’t say anything about this offering more possibilities on roblox for making lego games.

There are people who want to create fan based games like me. I have 12 original projects. It is not about if it is hard. It is about what is fun to do.

1 Like

Nope that patent for the brick design expired already, which is why so many parodies of them came up.