My account was disabled, Lego Copyright

Not only for profit. Mostly just, because I would like to build with people online and buildup a community based on creating the world they play in. My plan is to also add cool creations they have into my game, so it is there forever (with credits to the people that made the structure).

I also have 17 different games in my creations tab. It is just I am a type of guy that jumps from one idea to the other. that does not mean I love to have profit, but I have never got any robux from any game I have created, so it is possible of course, but not likely to happen very soon.

1 Like

I think you got your account disabled because of not any copyright issues it is because that you didn’t got any permission to recreate this. You need to have a permission in order to place and use this in your game. Without permission, the owner can delete or terminate your account because of copyright issues. Roblox just gave you warning because they’re trying to say that to don’t repeat this mistakes ever again.

2 Likes

I have read the notices and policies of lego when I started my research, but I have found out that lego lost their patent on lego bricks.

Also like you said about the notices and policies. Short summary.

“All we ask is that there should be fair play and the possibility for consumers to make buying decisions on an informed basis.”

I am not going to sell any bricks for real life money in my game.

“Unfortunately, some of these sites use the LEGO logo and LEGO trademarks in a manner which may lead to confusion about whether these sites are sponsored or authorized by the LEGO Group. Therefore, we have developed these guidelines to assist Internet users who wish to refer to LEGO products for non-commercial purposes as to the appropriate way to refer to our LEGO trademarks. However, you should be aware that it is impossible to set hard and fast rules about the proper use of our trademarks.”

Because I can create my game for non-commercial purposes, because I am not selling bricks for real life money and I do not have lego logo’s on the bricks in the model it’s name. It should be fine.

I am going to send an email to the lego customer service, just in case. I hope I understood the text correct and is it possible to create a game like this.

3 Likes

They own the word Lego. The U.S. patent for the block shape is expired, but there are global patents to consider. This is a complicated issue and the easiest thing to do is look at generic blocks and go from there. No use of the word Lego for sure.

9 Likes

I presume this moderation notice is supposed to warn you that using lego is not allowed on the Roblox website. Not meant to punish you in any way otherwise it would have been a ban. Although this does seem unreasonable from one perspective as this was a thing at one point.

https://blog.roblox.com/2014/08/announcing-the-lego-ideas-building-contest-finalists/

and there were official sets released

But we also can’t be sure with what happens behind the scenes of Roblox there may be another reason behind it.

9 Likes

Just because you don’t have a lego logo on it doesn’t mean you are not subject to copyright infringements.

iirc, Roblox years ago got in trouble with Lego for having circular studs rather than square ones.

1 Like

To be honest, that’s just Roblox’s filters for you.

You can’t even tell which asset was moderated as it doesn’t show you the actual thumbnail of it.

I’ve been copyright striked loads of times. I used to have Starbucks groups etc which lasted years.

Also yet again they still allow other groups to operate such as Stagecoach (a UK bus company), but I am terrible on copyright law so yeah.

3 Likes

Lego definitely doesn’t own the interlocking block design. There’s several brands with very similar bricks, the main one I can think of being Mega Bloks.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say you deserve to be disabled for the model but from the name you probably shouldn’t have used a trademarked name

1 Like

Hey there,
I know copyright can be tricky, as companies always have evolving trademark rules and IP right changes.

My advice is to stay away from using company assets and even mentioning company names unless you have express permission and/or is not in a way which will cause a copyright holder to request a takedown.

I wish you luck through the midst of this!

5 Likes

Roblox did get sued by lego long ago for having circular studs, which lead to the square studs they have today. I think this is the reason you had the copyright issue

1 Like

Since 2010, Roblox has taken a STRICT policy against anything that resembles lego in any fashion, as they were subject to a lawsuit by LEGO because of the similarities of both platforms. A settlement of the lawsuit was to change the Roblox studs from circles to squares.

As such, Roblox has taken this strict approach with no chance to be redeemed. You will not be allowed to create any 1:1 LEGO products on Roblox in any way, shape or form. This includes the shape of the bricks, the LEGO logo, or any other trademark that is recognized as belonging to LEGO.

This can easily include rip-off brands because it is difficult to deduce the style you are going for (mega-blocks look very similar, but are usually of lesser quality), since they all mostly look the same, it will likely be interpreted as LEGO.

Roblox has given you an official warning to stop producing the content you are producing, no level of discussion on this forum will take that away or put you in the clear. Stop what you are doing or you will receive further administrative action.

You are not subject to patent or trademark law, you cannot claim this as your defense. You are subject to the Roblox Terms of Service, and they have told you that this is not allowed.

You can obviously create your own content without copying the LEGO brands.

4 Likes

This topic is for copyright tips and sharing your own experience with copyright.

1 Like

Yea, but I don’t get it.
[30chars]

He is not asking about his individual moderation, but more of asking about tips to not get the same moderation again

1 Like

As I said in m post, the best way to avoid being hit by copyright, is to not create copyrighted or trademarked items that do not belong to you.

1 Like

By the way, have you faced any of this issues again?

Me and my friend had an automoderation issue regarding uploading images, i was experimenting with PBR maps for the new studio and got disabled 2 times past month and my friend got disabled today for uploadidng an image for hes new game.

Its quite hard for us because we pretty much dont have a voice for this stuff other than twitter… but the best place to discuss its here and we dont have acces to this.

I can upload images if necesary.

3 Likes

I’m always super cautious when it comes to uploading things. I always try to avoid uploading audio, clothing, and images on my main account. I have an alt for that because I don’t trust auto moderation and I’m not willing to take that risk on my main.

I understand what @Aotrou is saying. A copyright is for a physical form. Movies, tv shows, books, even the guitars hanging on my wall are subjected to copyright. Trademark is for things like a name or a logo.

I do agree that it’s weird due to knockoffs and other people not being copyrighted. However, this does take the exact form of a lego. I even have this exact piece in one of the 4 bins full of legos that are locked in storage haha.

4 Likes

i think its the name, the name contains “Lego” in it, mine also got moderated long time ago just because the name of the asset i uploaded. so i changed the name and its all fine.

I did not actually. Removing lego out of the model name did help up to now.

Sharing the image would help. Did it contain any logo’s or did you name the image to something with copyright?