My computer always freezes for a bit when opening a menu in Studio (MacOS)

The title says it all, whenever I open a menu my screen freezes for a bit.
For example:
Lets say I had a meshPart.
Theres a button to export an obj file into the meshParts meshId.
Whenever I click that button and the menu opens up, my computer freezes up for about 20 seconds or so.

This happens basically any time one of those prompts comes up as well. For example, if you exit studio it asks you to save. You have the options of cancel, yes, and no.
Whenever that prompt comes up my computer freezes. I cant really alt tabs or anything, I just have to wait. Its a pretty big annoyance on my work flow.
It completely freezes, even if i take a screenshot, it actually doesnt snap the screen until after the freeze is over.

This bug has been happening since I started developing on Roblox about a year ago.
Im not sure if other Mac users have this same problem.

Heres my specs:
MacBook Pro (Late 2013 model)
Processor: 2.4 GHz 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

This bug isnt exactly super breaking but its been annoying me for awhile now.

In conclusion:
Any type of prompt makes my computer freeze for about 30 seconds. I’ll include an image of the prompts/menus im talking about if that doesnt make sense.

2 Likes

What MacOS version are you on?

I am a mac user, Version 10.14.5, macOS Mojave, and can confirm this happens every single time I open the File Browser from within ROBLOX Studio.

Again, like @Psudar this has been going on for a very long time.

1 Like

Sorry for delayed response! I’m currently using macOS Mojave 10.14.4 (It’s not the latest version, but the bug has been present since long before.)

I have a problem that seems related.
Details:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), running the latest Catalina MacOS Version 10.15 Beta (19A4871). Also a problem on previous versions of the OS.

The problem for me is whenever Studio uses the standard open/save dialog box to import a file or image from the local file system.
The dialog is filled in but it is not responsive, click on the buttons/files and nothing happens, click outside the box and it beeps since the dialog is the active process.
Running Activity Monitor shows the open/close dialog thread is displayed in red and stated as not responding and that RobloxStudio is running continuously at 20% CPU - Leave for an hour and nothing changes.
A force Quit is the only way out using the Activity Monitor.
Roblox Studio has full disk access so it is not a privacy/security issue.
It looks like the data / handling of the openClose dialog by Studio would be a good place to check.

1 Like

I have added a screenshot that show the open dialog - the current folder at the centre top never goes blue (yet it is definitely a valid folder) the contents are correct. I suspect that Studio is passing invalid data to the open file dialog or not responding correctly to any callbacks.

2 Likes

This morning I am able to import local files and images. I am wondering if there could be a Roblox daily limit on the number of imports or a moderation block? In this case the Studio could provide some feedback and explanation rather than just freezing the dialog.

macOS Catalina is a quite heavy software, as it has caused many issues with other apps, including Roblox. A temporary solution I suggest is you go to an older version of macOS, like High Sierra or Sierra, as both of them pretty much work.

It has been confirmed by many people that macOS Catalina+ (Specially Catalina) has heavy files and programs that make all applications go slower than they should.

About Mojave, it might be the same issue. If you can, try going to an older version, as even some Apple workers suggest to not update to Catalina and above, as the current technology cannot hold it correctly.

Hope it can help you.

Note for @Psudar: It may also be the memory card or RAM, as alot of time has passed since 2013, and stuff starts breaking itself.

1 Like

Thanks for the insights, I’ve always thought it was a RAM problem, but I don’t really have trouble doing much else. My guess would be that because Catalina is so heavy, it takes up a lot of the available current memory and thus runs slower. I’ll consider installing an older version. Thanks :slight_smile:

I am also still having this issue on macOS Mojave 10.14.6. I have no plans of updating to Catalina ever, but the constant freezing of my entire operating system just because of Studio is extremely annoying and extremely frustrating. Navigating the file browser is nearly impossible because I get a 30 second freeze every time I double click on a folder. “Downgrade your operating system” doesn’t satisfy me. If I was on Catalina, it would be a different story, but Mojave should be all good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.