My first model. What are your thoughts about it?

So i finished my first real model for my game wich is from a semi top view point and has a cartoon/fantasy setting. i was aiming for the house of a blacksmith and was wondering what you guys think of it and how to improve this build. the houses in this game will all be this scale, its part of the setting.

blacksmith

*stove and wheel models are not mine but free models i used.

If you want to look at it in realtime you may click the link below.
click to see it animated

Any feedback and comments are appreciated!

thank you!

32 Likes

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the textures, but the shape and style of the building isn’t quite right. It’s hard to describe, but, it just doesn’t look like other low poly i’ve seen. It might be because it’s nice and most of the corners are bevel’d, or it might just be how small it is. Not sure, other than that
It’s stunning
Great job :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Maybe it seems a bit weird because the building is bigger at the bottom than at the top. (kinda like a cone shape). Thank you for your feedback!

Looks like a great start!

While I really like the direction you took for the building, consider keeping some corners and edges as Smooth Shading. It’ll clean up the colours and if the camera will always been in this isometric position, allow light to hit it smoothly.

That’s because 1. This isn’t “low poly” and 2. They didn’t clarify that they were trying to copy the flat shading/textureless style people confuse with the term “low poly.” :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

thanks for your great feedback! im new into building/modeling and just started blender and photoshop. i will take a look into the smooth shading! learning everyday, thank you!

updated the build with smooth shading. Looks better indeed. cheers!
Also removed the stove and added a chimney.

4 Likes

Wow! I am impressed by the first real model! Even though you have free models next to it, the house your made is pretty good! For feedback, I would add darker bricks more on the sides, and probably change that green color the front of the roof, and I don’t know that that is on top of the door. It’s a really impressive good job, keep up the work! Also, try not to use free models so it can make your work better and original, I also suggest using blender its really good for low poly! :+1: :clap:

1 Like

What do you supposed i call it then? if it’s not low poly?
The answer to this question would actually help massively.
Thanks.

I’ve talked extensively about what low poly is and isn’t :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a few examples in this post I made:

3 Likes

thank you for your feedback! ill adjust the green color for sure, i think i know what you mean by that (im a little bit colorblind and wanted to match the house color :smiley: ) ill see if i update the texture with more (darker) bricks aswell… and yes im using blender since a week, i really like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You really inspired me by your first creation, nice! The texture looks great, but you need to work a little bit more for your future!

2 Likes

thank you for the nice reply! im keep on working on it