My first published game

Hi everyone,

I would really love some feedback on my first ever published game. It’s an obby and I know that they’re not the most popular game but I am new to dev and am starting with the basics.

I originally put this game together in a week and just did my first ever update. It’s only 45 stages but I feel super accomplished :laughing:

Let me know what you thinks. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, atleast the game icon, thumbnail and badge images are good…
I see alot of misalignments, the obby itself is very boring (despite how much the game description tries hyping you up for it). The music makes it sound like some sort of speedrun game even though it isn’t. Even if this game was done in a week, I see a lot of repeated stages. There’s some material usage which makes some stages look “cool”, some a bit weird. The end is a free model island. Well, A for effort, I guess…

4 Likes

Okay, I really appreciate your feedback. I agree, it definitely feels boring haha

Listen, I don’t love obbies but I am just trying to practice and learn :laughing:

What do you think would make it less boring?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to check it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try making the colors more vibrant for starters, everything looked so dull.

3 Likes

Its pretty good for your first game, but there is a lot of work that can be done.

I’d start by adding some UI’s, maybe one on the left side of your screen that tells you what stage your on.
As well, a shop option would be nice where players can buy stage skips and gamepasses like a speed coil etc.

3 Likes

Just played it and, first of all, great taste for soundtrack ^_^. Platforms looks very colorful, skill required to get past obstacles is great for beginners and the general feel is good. The badge is gorgeous! Wonder if part 2 will implement the dodging obstacles. Love the detail where we can sit anywhere on the stretchers.

Now for the improvements:

• Noticed my avatar would respawn backwards in comparison to the path to take next, including the starting platform. Not sure if it was me or the platforms need to be rotated.
  • Respawning sometimes takes me back to the beginning. I solve the problem by falling on purpose as it puts me back at the last checkpoint, but you should take a look on that.
  • Love the Nether Portals, the combination between hidden gaps, particles and semi-transparent walls that mess with the camera makes it a tad more challenging, but the particles seems to travel sideways.

Now for the ideas:
-Lava blocks could be lighter in color but have a bold colored bloom, kinda like you did with the red square prism obstacle featured in the thumbnail. It looks awesome!
-Use different soundtracks and color themes for different levels. For example, you could use more relaxed music and blue, black and silver colors for the “night level”

2 Likes

Yess that’s definitely on the list of things I’d like to try and implement as I go along. Seriously thank you so much for taking time to check it out and giving me feedback. It really means a lot :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback and thank you so much for taking the time to check out my game.

Can you tell I’m more of a graphic designer than a developer :joy::joy:

I definitely want to implement dodging obstacles in part 2. Just steadily building the skills :slightly_smiling_face:

I was actually noticing that I would spawn in the wrong direction too!! Seems like an easy fix!

I love your ideas and will definitely try to work some of those in. Like I said in the post it was my first real game. Definitely not my dream game but just getting some practice to build my skills.

Thank you so much again, it means so much

2 Likes

I’ve had a short play and honestly it isn’t too bad.

• Unlike other obby’s yours don’t have random purchase prompts or any intrusive UI which in a way is nice if you’re not looking to monetize.

• If you were interested in monetizing your experience it depends on who you’re marketing to. >13 age-range you’d need those intrusive popups and UI elements whereas 15+, a simple aesthetic UI could potentially be enough.

One thing I agree with which is stated already, is that something that tells you your current stage (maybe even a badge for each stage?)

Soundtrack is honestly a vibe tbh.
Other than that, Happy creating!

1 Like