My guide for receiving payment + avoid being scammed/time wasted (FOR DEVELOPERS)

This guide is targeted towards newer builders who are interested in doing commissions. Please let me know if you disagree with any of these points or if there’s anything else I could add.

Guide:

Make sure to discuss payment before any actual building is done. This is really important as it will allow you to avoid any last minute arguments/debates about payment. Another thing you could do (not required) is to ask for some proof of funds to make sure the client can actually pay you.

Upfront payments: Getting paid a certain % or getting paid in full for a build before any building
actually starts. Upfront payments are really beneficial in preventing yourself getting scammed or
time wasted. To those who don’t know getting time wasted is when you finish your build but your
client pulls out/avoids payment/ignores you. There are some cons to this. You might put off clients
as they are worried that you will run off with the payment and scam them unless you’re a really big
famous developer. Its quite hard to convince big clients for upfront payment as a starter developer.
This is not my preferable form of payment.

Screenshots. Make sure to send PLENTY of screenshots as you are building. The client can
comment on your build and see what could be changed to make sure the build is tailored to their
needs. If you don’t send any screenshots chances are the build will not be up to the clients
standards/expectations and could lead to the client pulling out resulting in no payment.

Group games/Shared with me games/Building in TC. Make sure to always build in a private game.
Building in a shared game is quite risky as your build could be stolen. You are practically setting
yourself up to be scammed at that point. Unless you’re building for a really big studio or a really big
game (chances are they are more trustworthy).

Do not EVER send the build/file to the client before receiving any sort of payment. Once you are
finished with the build and the client is happy let the client pay first. After they pay make sure to
check your pending robux/paypal account etc if they have paid the correct amount. After you are
100% sure that they have sent their payment you can now send your build to them. This is my preferable form of payment.

As I mentioned earlier please do reply with your opinion on this guide.

7 Likes

I should outline that its for developers. Thank you

1 Like