My Latest UGC Concept! Do I have a chance? (Looking For Feedback)

Verts: 1012
Tris: 2112

I would have added a Cartoony Outline but my vert count was already near the max.
I would love your thoughts and opinions.

6 Likes

It looks like something you would see on the avatar shop. Nice job :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a pretty good hat, however if you’re looking for feedback I’d suggest you make this a higher poly asset, since a large influence of what gets you accepted will be how creative and detailed your work is.

Right now you can still see where edges meet within your model and some parts of it appear flat and don’t hold much surface.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! I was originally just trying to keep it within the vert/tri requirements but forgot on the end to do what I could to improve it. but as for the flatness of the graham cracker, there’s no possible way to fix this without having tens of thousands of verts and tris. If there was I would most definitely do it though.
Here are the changes I made to the marshmallow itself though:

This is the best I could do without going over the limits.

Looks much cleaner, good job.
One question though, does the software you’re using really give a limit to how much you can put into one asset?

If so, I’d suggest looking into some new software if you’re interested in getting into UGC, since they’ll be looking out for quality over most.

No, it does not. It’s the UGC requirements. Any UGC model must be below 1200 verts and 4000 tris. Sorry if this was unclear.

2 Likes

Oh, this is new to me, thanks for letting me know.
To be completely honest, that’s a bit of an odd requirement but I could understand why they’d implement it.

I definitely agree. I hope the increase it in the near future. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

There’s something strange about this. I investigated a UGC item and it had more than 1200 verts. This was a well known item called the Cartoony Rainbow Sword.

Also it doesn’t make much sense if something is being limited to 1200 verts while also having 4000 tris. Because for 1 tri you have 3 verts, so having 4000 tris you have 12000 verts which is much 10x more than 1200. Maybe I did something wrong, but this doesn’t make much sense to me.

[EDIT]: I forgot that vertices don’t have to be separate with every single triangle.

Something similar happened to me as well when I tried exporting that one tank UGC item and opening the exported model in another 3d program. It just seems to be a weird export/import quirk. I remember googling it myself and saw one or two other people also mentioned the same thing; just a bug

As for your tris and verts question, while it is true that each triangle has 3 verts, you can still manually cut that triangle into more triangles. Though you’d be starting with a polygon (4 sides) then you can pretty much cut it up like a pizza slice, only using 1 vertex for each new cut (cutting from the center vertex to the edge vertex). Theoretically, if for some reason you really want you, you could cut 4000 individual triangles into a bunch of polygons and still be within the vertex limit, or at least get close. I have never done it, and can’t really imagine doing it, so I may be wrong about that.

TLDR: You can cut polygons into a bunch of triangles if you really want to, which will only use up 1 (sometimes 2) vertices for each new cut

This plane has 4 polys, and 9 verts. That would be 8 triangles total, with 9 verts.

Summary

Cut it into the triangles, so now its properly showing 8 tris.

Summary

Cut those in half, and now I have 16 triangles, but only added 6 more vertices (14 total)

Summary

After a while, now I’m at 130 triangles, but only 92 vertices

Summary

As for why anyone would do it so excessively like this is unknown to me, but I guess Roblox put that limit as a precaution just in case.

Would look very nice on an avatar. Nice work!

Yeah, I noticed this after doing a little experiment on a cube. Thanks for the help though!