My most realistic car chassis yet - a mixture of constraints and scripted suspension

I have just finished creating the strangest, most unconventional, and hackiest method of setting up car suspension - and the results are much better than I expected.

How the system works

The entire car body is attachment to a single part which contains all driving and turning forces (Body Velocity and BodyAngularVelocity respectively). This base part is then attached to a pill-shaped collider which slides across the ground.

When the car hits a bump or an object, the rounded edges of the collider ensures the the object will slide up and over the object while simultaneously flinging the collider upwards at high speed. The system detects this change and applies a sufficient down-force to keep the vehicle on the ground.

The wheels are essentially fake and are only there for cosmetic purposes. They are attached and manipulated through a BallSocketContraint with full limits enabled.

Screenshots

Try out the testing place!

Is this system ready to be used in a game?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

8 Likes

I’d say yes, but the system should be polished a bit more. When driving alongside a wall which is down low, the tires begin to glitch. It also feels very shaky to drive up slopes.

2 Likes

Its interesting, to say the least. Its definitley unlike any roblox car Ive driven before, but its looking great so far!

Here is some issues I found:

• The turning speed should be increased (I find it a lot more convenient to drift all the time, but I assume the turn speed would be per vehicle though)
  • Its very easy to go out of bounds in the current roads (driving next to a wall pops your wheels up)
  • Using the ATV, I got stuck on the underside of the sloped platforms (the ones that lead up to that grey brick)

Other than that, this is cool!

1 Like

Might wait for improvements of attachments by roblox staff.

Theres still some bugs but its pretty good

1 Like

In my opinion, the wheels look off.