My second almost finished game

Intro
Hello, recently I have begun working on a game. Unlike the others this one I am actually going to finish. In fact, the game is almost finished.

What I am looking for feedback on

• UI design

• gamepass and developer product prices

• Lobby design and layout

• Obby design

• Things to do while in the game

• The flow of the game(Intermission time, game time, etc)

• Any other things you can think of

As for where that all is, I won’t say. I am looking to see how easy it is for beginners to get the flow of the game and what you can do in it.

Info
Currently, there are only 13 obbies, 1 gamepass, 2 developer products, and 2 items purchasable with coins. More will be added to this soon.

Anti-Exploit
Alright, this is the first time I have attempted to make an Anticheat. How it works is pretty simple. Since the only important part of the game is the winners pad, it will be heavily exploited if there are any exploiters. If there is a player that touches it while they are not in the game or have already got their points, they will be jailed. The way exploiters are handled is similar to Jailbreak. They are put in a box, trying to exit will put them right back in. Since this is my first attempt at an Anticheat system I have decided to only make it so they are jailed for that specific server. Leaving and joining a different server will unjail them. This is to combat people who might accidentally be detected.

Getting players to play
How should I go about doing this? I remember I was in one of my places testing out a gun and some random person joined. Do you think I have a chance at having the game collect players from just looking it up or games like it? Alternatively, I could use Ads which I don’t think will be a good idea since many people already have an Adblocker.

The game
https://www.roblox.com/games/6593563505/Obby-minigames

Do not be afraid to light a fire under the game, any suggestions to make the game better will help!

5 Likes

Honestly this is pretty solid. Here’s my feedback;

1. Some aesthetic clashing; low poly trees but high detail bushes. I don’t personally mind it that much but some people find that less desirable.

2. Prevent map repeats; I got cakewalk twice in a row, pink obby 3 times in a row, etc. Initially I though the map pool was too small but it seems theres atleast a decent amount (although more will always be better)

3. Difficulty curve is kind of insane. Some will be super easy and some super hard. You could separate by difficulty and allow players to vote potentially? Or you could gauge the lobby’s ability (# of people finishing/# of total people); if over 50% finish, go up a difficult; if less than 20% finish, go down a difficulty?

4. Encourage finishing. Instead of killing, you could respawn players (maybe even just for the first half of the game, or allow respawns until 1 player finishes; then everyone else is sudden death). This is optional and I don’t think killing off players is invalid, but it’s annoying if you have to wait a minute if you die in the first 5 seconds.

5. Communicate your purchasables. I couldn’t quite tell what they did until I asked. Maybe have these events happen after 15 rounds or something even if nobody buys one (to give players a taste)

6. Some courses only have one path which makes it difficult to navigate as a group. It’d be nice if every game had 2-3 paths minimum (either horizontally or vertically) to spread people out. Bonus points if there’s an easy but longer path vs a faster but more difficult one maybe

7. Little games on the side were a cool touch :slight_smile: a hinge might work better for the see-saw but either way it’s neat. Adding more or switching them occasionally would be a nice touch if you get a steady playerbase

8. Alternate music would be cool during minigames, just to instill a sense of “rush”

9. Using the vertical space would be neat in courses. More “climbing” or “dropping down” moments would be neat. Size in general seems a bit restrained.

10. Another cool world modifier would be “minimode” where players are half size. This would allow you to make maps that are “bigger” but contained in the same space.

11. Death bricks are a little hard to see sometimes (depending on the course). Just make sure it doesn’t blend in the course color and is VERY obvious, because some of them are very tiny

12. The yellow course with the moving lava was super laggy. I didn’t have much issue on the other maps with moving parts though. Hopefully just a fluke on my end, but just double check there’s nothing odd with that course impacting playability (e.g. laggy scripts)

This is a pretty long list but just to be clear I really like the game so far. I think it is doing a lot right so far and could definitely get popular! Goodluck!

5 Likes

I can agree with a lot of these. Some points I will make are, when I was making the seesaw I just got lazy when making the hinges align and I just used ropes. The low poly and high poly definitely stick out and I will make changes to that, as I make more obbies I hope that the difficulty curve isn’t so steep with more easy and intermediate levels, hopefully, this will also fix the issue with the same obbies spawning all the time. The only thing I do not agree with is giving players a second chance. The rounds are fast and players often get a chance at winning, on top of this in the shop I am working on there will be a potion that you can take that will give you 200 health allowing you to have 2 chances at survival. I had the same issue with the moving bricks where they would lag. Not sure where that came from as it went smoothly in testing. All points were considered. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I would tend to agree with your rebuttal for sure, I think the speed of the games allows for you to get away with 1 chance especially as more maps get introduced and difficulty is played around with. Looking forward to trying this again at some point in the future hopefully! :slight_smile:

Update:

I didn’t want to create a new post for this as a comment would just be better. I have made some more obbies, and am playing around with the lobby to try to make it look better. Here is a video of what I’ve got.

https://streamable.com/lgq7rx

Opinions?

2 Likes

It’s nice, but just so players won’t have to see the same map/lobby every single round(and thus not get bored), you can have a set of unique maps(5 or more). Each round, it’s a different obby, and a different map. You can implement a spectating system to make it more conventional, I’d also love to see large screens(one or two) in the lobby where it loops between players’ perspectives every 3 seconds or so, that way the spectating system can be creative(note that the former suggestion of the ‘conventional’ spectating system should still be there for players to spectate a specific alive player). This is how I would feel seeing the same map every single time. Also, the void is really empty, it makes the player feel like the lobby is out of place, try adding some buildings around the lobby(see MM2), you can also add a simple obby that rewards you when done. I also felt like the lobby had a lot of trees compared to its size, maybe try making it a bit bigger? That’s it, really enjoyed playing it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions! When you mention map/lobby do you mean the lobby? I really like the idea of a spectating system and could think of how it could be useful and cool, but many of the obbies are not very long and the time to do them is short meaning that the time someone will have to spectate a player will probably be short. As well as the players in the lobby being able to see the round occurring. I liked the idea of having a screen when it shows a player doing the obby but sadly I don’t know how to accomplish this. I can see how it could be pretty empty void-like, it looks pretty strange when you zoom out of the map. I was trying to think of a way to fill up the lobby to make it look less empty, but I feel like the lobby might need a redesign.

oh i just meant i didn’t like how each obby course is on the same map(which currently is the lobby). another suggestion I have is to try making longer rounds by mixing different obby courses together, that way, the spectating system can be more fun, also, it would be more random and thus more exciting.

1 Like