Navigation - Find All / Replace All - Beta

Finally I no longer need to use windows’ note pad!

2 Likes

I think this feature must be also valid for renaming parts. For example, I made a graphics lowering and raising graphics button and it detects the parts whose names are different from others. I actually made that button after I replaced parts in the folders and I was copying the parts without renaming them. But then when I got this idea to improve my game, I had to rename them one by one :weary: . It took my time a lot. I really regretted it.

5thPart

I don’t need to rename them now. This is just an example of how I attempted to rename them in the other folders.

2 Likes

Simply thank you :slight_smile: This is nice

1 Like

I think this is a great step in the right direction. I am glad to hear you guys are listening to the developers, and this will be very useful for me.

Wow, and just a few days ago I thought: "I know about the in-script Find and Replace, but I wonder if there’s another one that searches through all the scripts AND replaces. Now I can tell my brother he can easily change all the deprecated “:connect” methods in his kill scripts to “:Connect”. :smirk: :rofl:

You can select all the parts, go to properties, and change the name of all of them at once.

1 Like

Anyone else think Roblox Studio is trying to be Visual Studio Code at this point?
That’s 2 changes in quick succession that very closely resemble Microsoft’s editor.

-Temporary tabs UX
-Find/Replace all UX

Not saying it’s a bad thing, definitely a great update! But very familiar to us who program outside of Roblox :thinking:

Yes! Finally! I have been waiting for this, well for an hour. Yes I’m serious. I just thought of it in my sleep. Anyways I have a bad habit of not naming scripts so I don’t know what are in them! Like if I had a script talking about a tool I’m going to call it tool. But I just don’t name it so its pretty hard to find. This new update won’t really break new habits but make those people with those habits have easier control over their scripts.

1 Like

This was a well needed change, I can now simultaneously change all secret “noob” variables across my whole game!

1 Like

This is exactly what I needed!

This will certainly speed up my game development. Very happy to have this.

This is great! I will be using this for mainly trying to find in my older scripts the while true loops.

Now if only we had a way to replace things such as Mesh assets, textures, decals, etc :wink:

3 Likes

Ok having lived with it for a bit, I have more feedback!

• I wish it selected the Find input box when I selected this tools tab. It feels like an extra click for nothing.

• I wish I could auto expand results. I use Find to navigate my code, and having to click dividers open every time is extra clicks

• Currently, the replace feature is super clunky. If you just want to replace 1 or 2 instances out of all the ones its found, you can’t do it. Please add the ability to activate the replace function on each line individually.

1 Like

I have one two pieces of criticism with the new Find All/Replace All.

Focus the search text box when it opens

When I press the shortcut with the old Find All, I was able to quickly search up what I wanted to look for. Now I have to move the mouse over to the Find Box and then click on it to type. It’s tedious, it can get in the way of quickly debugging an issue.

Focusing the search text box would provide better UX.

Allow searching while the game is running

Sometimes I need to check Scripts injected by Roblox (e.g. ChatScript) and it’s hard to search through the injected code base with the current Find dialog. I have to copy the scripts injected into play mode back into edit mode for it to search where I want it to, not exactly a fun thing to do.

Example finding UserFixBubbleChatText in the BubbleChat LocalScript injected by Roblox. It isn’t there :fearful:

2 Likes

I hope this gets added in. Every time I use the command I then start typing expecting it to already be focused. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed its not copying selected text into itself either, which is something the old one did.

1 Like

The are a couple good plugins you can use to accomplish this:

https://www.roblox.com/library/143326409/Selection-Plugin

Thanks for these, but @t1dtony has already mentioned it above. I was just trying to use the shortcut F2 to rename them together but I couldn’t figure out how to do it until he told me.

Thanks anyways.

1 Like

I typically do:
CMD-SHIFT-P
and type Name, to access the name field quickly

Really fancy widget, feels way better.

The only things I don’t like is that the bar isn’t automatically focused when the widget opens, and how you need to manually re-search when you change something. If I change e.g. case sensitivity, I need to click back into the search bar and move my hands to my keyboard to press enter to refresh the results. It’s also not immediately clear the results haven’t been redone, so if I change the query and nothing changes, I might mistakenly assume there were no changed results (which I almost did just now).

1 Like