Navigation - Find All / Replace All - Beta

This will be so useful. I sometimes miss spell in my scripts and duplicate it 20 times. then I realize and have to go 1 by 1. Thanks for this useful feature.

1 Like

We will actually only open script tabs on Replace All if you are in a Team Create place with Collaborative Editing (Drafts Widget) off. In other instances (local places, Team Create with Drafts Widget on) we won’t open the scripts.
The reason for this is that in order to change a script in non-Drafts Team Create, the current workflow involves opening the script, changing it (and locking the script in the process), then closing the script (or right-click script tab->Commit Edits) to unlock the script and commit the change to the other Team Create users. We decided to preserve this behavior when using Replace All to keep in line with the current workflow, even though it involves opening up a bunch of tabs.
We considered other options, such as locking, committing, and unlocking without opening the script, but we were worried about cases such as if a replace all goes bad, which could result in a bad experience for other people in your Team Create session if they try to run the game with broken scripts that were committed automatically.
That being said, we appreciate your feedback, and will discuss the “Open All Scripts” checkbox going forward (maybe this would implicitly mean we automatically commit the scripts?) for the full release.

6 Likes

I appreciate this new version of a tool that already existed… There WAS an easy way to find “The Noob” in all scripts, using the “Find Results” window. Now it seems that window can still be added, but it has no function, and that was a tool I use everyday. I"m glad I was able to find the new “Search/Replace Window”, even before this article was posted, as I figured Roblox probably added a replacement for this extremely powerful feature (that again… already existed).

Anyway, it seems nice, and a bit more powerful. Wasn’t too hard to find (after I gave up on the old window).

alright, now i don’t have to spend the amount of time it’ll take for the next coming of jesus editing all 50 inventory slots on one little typo. good

Lua string patterns are very different from regex.
All other .* buttons use regex in Roblox Studio, and regex is more powerful. It doesn’t make sense to have this one widget use Lua patterns which are less powerful.

It would be nice if the captures were allowed to be read from in the replacement string in all places where replacement strings are used (so something like \1 would use the first capture in the replacement).

4 Likes

It says that the Replace All action cannot be undone. Is there a reason for this? I imagine that the previous state of the affected scripts could be saved just like regular undo? At least when collaborative editing is disabled.

AMAZING! Been waiting for this for a while, this’ll definitely help me a lot!

definitely had those situations where i wanted to upgrade each script. No longer do I have to painstakingly change the single variable in my library of weapons by hand.

Replacing one word in multiple scripts is sometimes a nightmare; thank you ROBLOX for fixing this issue!

In my experience and opinion, the Find Results window is way too clunky and inefficient for actual use. This seems like a very significant improvement, and should make a lot of tasks easier for myself and other developers.

1 Like

Awesome! I’ve been waiting for something like this for quite a bit. The newer version looks much more nicer.

1 Like

Seems like y’all can read my thoughts. No more tediously changing every single audio in 50+ buttons!

2 Likes

now if only someone would make it so we can collapse all the children without having to scroll for years… please please please… I would put it in as a suggestion/requested feature but I don’t have permissions to post there yet… :frowning: I do know it’s been requested in the past

1 Like

Looks Good! Will be helpful for a lot of people.

Oh my gosh, yes yes yes! Finally! I needed this for soooo long damn.

1 Like

I have been waiting for this SINCE LIKE 2015!!!
I am so excited!

1 Like

This.

I was excited by the possibilities Search and Replace would bring for TC but let down by the realization captures in the replacement string isn’t a thing. You could make sure all code written by team members adhered to a certain whitespace style or update all custom import statements to a new format with just one search and replace. It’s also pretty inconsistent with how the existing Search and Replace for individual scripts work.

Really hoping Roblox realizes captures in replacement string is needed and adds it in before they go live.

1 Like

I use the find window in a horizontal configuration. The functionality is fine, but there is a LOT of wasted space when you use it this way.

As a bonus, any chance of reclaiming those unused pixels on the bottom the screen too?

For comparison, here’s the current tool vs the new tool, same space:

3 Likes

This update is good. This feature makes easier to edit multiple scripts.

2 Likes

Could it possibly be changed so studio focuses on the search textbox when you press the find and replace shortcut? (ctrl + shift + f)
The old search used to focus automatically, but now you have to drag my mouse over to the textbox in order to search and it takes significantly longer.

4 Likes