Navigation in Output window gets extremely slow when I print large tables

Reproduction Steps

I don’t have time to create a test model to reproduce, so someone from Roblox can PM me, and I’ll give them the instructions to test directly in my game.

Expected Behavior

Navigation in the output window should be fluid, without freezes

Actual Behavior

I have complex tables that are saved in Datastore, with multiple levels and many elements.
For debugging purposes, I print some of these tables when the game loads.
However, when I try to uncollapse some table, Studio takes SEVERAL SECONDS to show something.

Below is a video that tries to demonstrate what happens. To make it easier to understand, when I shake the mouse from bottom to top, it means the time that Studio is FROZEN, until the result appears:

In time: if you search (Ctrl+F) in the Output window, in the above condition, it will take MINUTES until it unfreezes.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Performance
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Expandable tables in the Output window struggles with performance, especially with large tables, and this a known issue. We do have an option to turn off the expandable table functionality (go into the Output Window options and turn on Log Mode) which greatly improves performance, but it stops expandable tables as a tradeoff. In the meantime, we will take a look at what can be done to improve expandable table searching and performance.

3 Likes

Although this is not being seen yet, I reinforce here the importance of correcting this performance problem of opening large collapsed tables in the Output Window.
As my game receives more data, the tables get bigger and consequently the debugging becomes slower in this window.
If it helps, by comparison, a large table in the Watch Window doesn’t suffer the same issue.

I got to the point where it’s just IMPOSSIBLE to use the Output Window.
Any table with many elements simply FREEZES Studio, even when I try to Scroll Down the window.
Leaving the tables expanded by default is not sensible, because once I have many elements, it is impossible to visually analyze the results.

1 Like

Currently, it looks like the problem has gotten WORSE.
When I click to open large collapsed tables (eg around 1MB), Studio FREEZES.
In this case, I am forced to end the task in the windows task manager.

When will this be resolved?

Solved, as I discoverded after reading Release Notes for 573 | Roblox Creator Documentation.

Thank you! :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.