Need Advice on Making Low Poly Armor

Hello DevForum, it me TheBloxxyHunter and I need your help. I have been recently trying to make a high fantasy game and have been making a few assets for the game. I thought it would be nice to model armor for the game but have no idea where to start on how to make it work on a roblox character. I’m making the armor for R15 characters in the classic blocky roblox package. Here are some examples on what kind of armor I’m trying to make:

I hope you guys can help! Keep in mind I am not a beginner modeler and use blender to make models.

13 Likes

This is some of the Vesteria’s armor, I guess you can take inspiration but not completely copy it. There’s also some great examples on the web, as shown below.

This obviously isn’t Roblox, but you can take some inspiration from it.

So you should be able to make something like this, correct?

1 Like

Yes that would help. 30 character minimum.

1 Like

If what you’re referring to is making it so that the armor will animate with the joints; you may want to consider importing the R15 rig into Roblox. You can use this for making the joints in a timely manner. Here’s some of my recommendations for going about this method:

• Make sure you delete the textures from the rig before you begin modelling

• Mirror the arms and legs to speed up your workflow. image

• Remove doubles. The Roblox rig uses an edgesplit modifier; which isn’t ideal for modelling.

• Use the Clear Custom Split Normals Data command.

• Use the Tris to Quads command.

• Roblox’s rigs are blender friendly. Hold Ctrl when moving the rig incrementally to perfectly line it up with the rig.

• To prevent overlapping; select the body part in object mode. Scale each body part to the same size ( i.e. S + 1.025) image

• Rinse and repeat for all body parts you wish to overlap ![image|631x499]image

• You should be able to add loopcuts and scale your pieces with ease! image

Happy modelling!

28 Likes

Thanks for the reply! That makes a lot more sense now.

1 Like