Need An Editor For Bones / Skeleton / Motor6Ds

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to edit the skeleton of a custom model.
When I build custom models for NPCs, animals, etc I need to connect all the body parts with Motor6Ds so that the model can be animated. The problem is that this is very difficult in Roblox. I use the Character Creator plugin, but it still has limitations and it is difficult to finely align and orient the Motor6Ds.

Every 3D program that I know of has a way to visualize and edit the skeleton. I think Roblox needs such a feature to make it very easy to visualize, align, and orient the Motor6Ds. To take it a step further, it would be nice to be able to import and export such things in/out of programs like Blender.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience?
Currently building custom rigs in Roblox is unnecessarily difficult. With a nice skeleton editor, it would be much easier to build custom characters and animations.

19 Likes

Arguably, somebody could (fairly easily) make this a plugin and use the Humanoid:BuildRigFromAttachments() function. Right now it’s fairly easy to do via command line although admittedly pretty tricky to get the joints where you want without lots of trial and error. I don’t think this necessarily needs to be made into a studio feature itself, but if somebody were to make a plugin for this it would probably be handy.

4 Likes

I did try BuildRigFromAttachments and it helped with alignment, but not so much with orientation.

I am thinking of more of something like Blender does in which the bones are clearly visible and it is easy to adjust the coordinates and rotation angles.

2 Likes

Good that you mention it, we have this in our plans, so stay tuned :slight_smile:

13 Likes

That would be awesome! What ballpark timeframe is this feature planned for? (Days, weeks, months,…)

2 Likes