Need feedback (and suggestion) for hallway design

Hi,

I’m currently designing a template for a hallway that’s meant to service the entrance zone of a SCPF site. I have a variety of ideas of themes and aesthetics I’d like to incorporate, like the-fact-it’s-supposed-to-be-underground, office-space, hospitals and industrial. Here’s what I’ve produced so far, but I feel I find my own work to be a little mismatched.

What could I do to achieve some sort of perfect balance between the feel of “time to go to my everyday job!” and “horrors beyond human comprehension are in this same building”?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

10 Likes

SHAPES:

I think of containment as being very heavy and very strong.

The pillars seem small like something that would be in an average hospital.

Maybe make them angled in at the tops so they become like bulkheads inside a ship. More like an A with some width at the top.

COLORS:

White is sanitary, but not when it has a strong texture.

Gray is oppressive, but not when it’s at your feet.

Maybe make the entire hallway dark shades of gray with ugly greenish yellow lighting.

LIGHTING:

Right now you have a very strong overhead light but the walls are not bleaching out like the light itself. So, it looks odd. Turn down the opacity of the light or make the light hit the walls harder.

4 Likes

This is a small suggestion, but I think posters and labels could serve as both decoration and an interesting addition of ambiance to the space. We all know signs like “WARNING AHEAD”, “DO NOT ENTER/ENTER WITH CAUTION” or such are usual in facilities like this, but they always manage to add this extra eeriness and deepness to the build.

2 Likes

I was about to say something similar! I think that it would be a really nice addition to what you want, it provides depth like wings said & also provides instruction to employees and advises visitors.

Warning posters that advise employees to follow safety protocol but also act happy to keep the mood up like this: “Be sure to close all blastdoors when you leave, we don’t have any more jobs for hire!” which is telling people an instruction but making a joke like ‘We don’t have more room for these things to get out’. I think playful-cautious is a good combination and you could make some simple graphic posters to post in certain sections.

I somewhat agree, they make the building feel more casual. I think removing the pillars would do good.

Also, I think practicality is very important for that sort-of industrial feel. What I mean by that is hallways not too wide but just enough for 2 people to pass by eachother without bumping shoulders. I think even adding a double yellow line in the center to separate the sides of the hall would be a good addition, adding to the business and industrial feeling.

I think that the vent that’s on the ceiling to the right could be bigger. When thinking realistically, you’d need a much larger air flow in a place underground so you’d need larger vents.

I think the lighting could use some work, depending on what style you’re going for. Like, you might want to think about having it shine directly down. If you’re going for a darker, grimy style then you might want to go for yellow-orange lighting.

Oh, and one last thing that popped into my mind as I was about to finish- emergency lighting!! Since it’s an SCP sort of game, you need to have certain lighting in case of emergency. Having an emergency light that slowly strobes red could be useful and also give help to your style of the building.

Sorry for the very long response- I hope this helped some! Good luck on your game, it looks amazing so far. Can’t wait to see more :doh:

2 Likes