Need help creating a gear/cog without [custom] meshes

Hello, I’m making a model but I can’t figure out how to make a decent-looking gear without using custom meshes. So far, I’ve tried using the Archimedes plugin and Studio Build Suite’s “rotate pivot” tool, but neither have given me exactly what I’m looking for without

a. requiring a bunch of math that I don’t want to do and probably isn’t necessary
b. creating a ludicrous part count

This is a picture of the gear I’m trying to recreate (source is textures.com)
Annotation 2020-08-22 221158

Building this out of bricks would be ideal, but I’m also open to the idea of using Roblox-created meshes if anyone knows any. As easy as they would be to use, custom meshes are out of the question because using them goes against my personal ethos

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an example of how it looks after your attempt with Archimedes and/or SBS?

I eventually gave up and went onto something else, but here’s a recreation of my two attempts:

This first one is with Archimedes. It was the quickest to do, but if you look closely the center cylinder is very slightly off-center from the teeth of the gear. I tried playing around with the cylinder’s position and the offset seems to be just a few thousandths of a stud, which is hardly noticeable but still frustrating to fix

The second one is with the rotate pivot tool on Studio Build Suite. It looks nicer (it doesn’t have the centering problem) but it takes more time having to do each part manually, not to mention the trouble I had with trying to set the correct part as the pivot. I feel like doing this with even more teeth (like in the reference image) would take forever.

Annotation 2020-08-23 131231

I guess my question is- is there any known way to compromise between these two methods? Something that is quick but also looks nice? I’m willing to sacrifice time for aesthetics if that’s what it comes down to.

1 Like