Need help creating complex mesh in Blender

So I have the basic mesh so far, it’s just a one-sided disc plane in an array of around 200 count.

Something like this
Now here’s the kicker. I need it to be in an oval shape, like this, but obviously sliced up very thinly.

So just like a combination of the two. How do I do that? I am still very new to Blender.

1 Like

Something like this?

There are many ways to do this, here are some:

You could use the oval shape and just use a boolean modifier to create slits.

OR

You can use an array modifier to first set up some disks and then use propotional editing to scale them into an oval like I did in the above video.

1 Like

The second way is the way to go because the first one is basically the opposite of what I need, but I have having trouble following along, already at the part where you make the discs smaller. 0:15.

Okay so here is a step by step guide:

• Step 1: Insert a circle object, and then tab into edit mode and fill it’s inside with faces.
  • Step 2: Rotate the circle on the X-Axis by 90 degrees.
  • Step 3: Add an array modifier to that disk and change it’s offset to how you want and count to whatever you desire.
  • Step 4: Apply the array modifier. And then tab into edit mode and press P → By Loose Parts. (This will seperate all your objects so that you can scale them.)
  • Step 5: Set your Transform Pivot Point to Individual Origins (This is usually located on the top of your viewport, here is how it looks and should be:
  • Step 6: Select all the objects and hit S then Shift + Y and type 0.1 on your keyboard.
  • Step 7: Select the center most disk, press O to enable propotional editing and then select your easing style in the top, something like this:
  • Step 8: After enabling propotional editing and selecting your center-most disk, press S and then Shift + Y and scale it till you are happy with your ovals.
  • Step 9: After that select all your objects and then select any of the disks and press J to join all geometry together.
  • Step 10: Press F4 to open the file panel and choose Export → Obj. Then just import that Obj file to roblox and boom! You are done!

Good luck reading all this, you will need it.

Here is the end product that you should get after this:

Oval! ^_^.blend (905.7 KB)
Oval.obj (37.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks! I discovered a strange way to make holographic things, so I wanted to try o make an experimental laser bolt.

2 Likes