Need help figuring out how to split revenue from my game with my partner

Pardon me if this is not the right sub to post this on

So my game has been on my profile for as long as it has existed. In the summer, one of my friends, @ford1015, came onto the project to help rebuild the outdated bases with something more modern, and make some islands. We agreed to split revenue 67-33%, with me getting the majority.

The game has done fairly well since about July/August when we dropped the remake, and since then I would cash out the devex through my Chase account, and Zelle his third of the cut to him. Obviously, this isn’t ideal for tax purposes, which we are figuring out right now, but since ROBLOX sent the tax documents recently meaning that the fiscal year for devex records is over and a new one is going to begin, I want to know how I can make the new year less complicated than the other.

What would be some better ways to split revenue? The issue we’re having is that since the game is on my profile, all the revenue goes to my account, and I can’t transfer it anywhere else unless I want to lose 30% of it to the ROBLOX tax, which wouldn’t be fair to @ford1015. We could move the game to a group place, but since the game has been in the same place slot for almost SEVEN years, I feel like moving the game to a group would A) lose us some players initially or even long term and B) just be a pain in the ass to move.

What should we do? I asked on a subreddit dedicated to taxes recently but since this is an issue very unique to ROBLOX, I think it’s best to ask for assistance here.

2 Likes

This is a complicated question, and I am by no means an expert. The only thing that I can think of is for you to take out 100% through your account and then transfer the 33% externally (for instance through PayPal). However, this requires a significant amount of trust on Ford’s side. You could potentially send Ford his share from your personal account before you DevEx the lot?

For example:

• You earn £100 worth from the game.
  • You send Ford £33 from your own pocket (so he knows you won’t take the 100% and scam him)
  • You DevEx the £100.
  • Rinse and repeat
1 Like

He would lose 30% of his cut if I do the transaction through ROBLOX.
And I already do send the money through my bank account to his through Zelle? I mentioned these both in my post.

This wouldn’t be too big of a problem if Roblox allowed the owners of a group to put funds in directly without T shirts, All you can really do is pay in cash after you DevX

2 Likes

yeah, the concept of sharing revenues on non-group games has been a concept I’ve seen since 2014/2015. And nothing has been done since.

1 Like