Need Help With Helmet Modeling

I’m a 3D Modeler and I decided to start learning how to model helmets however I’m stuck on a roadblock, I don’t know how to properly model Modern Military Helmets, mainly those with side attachments on a roblox character, I have searched everywhere and cannot find a guide or tips on how to do it, I’m asking if any other modeler can help me on a base guide or what to start with to start modeling, is it possible to hard surface model it or do you have to sculpt it.

Helmet In Question:

2 Likes

this should be possible to hard surface model. just take your time, focus on something simpler if you’re just starting out. do one thing at a time, and dont try to get all the details in

i recommend starting out with tutorials on simpler helmets, such as WWII era helmets, that way you can get an idea of the way you’d like to model helmets, for me I think the easiest way i would go about this would be starting with a UV sphere, making sure to adjust your rings and segments to fit the level of detail you’re going for, get rid of half of the sphere on the bottom AND the side, so you’re left with a quarter of the helmet (example shown below), mirror it along the Y axis, and from there shape the helmet around the characters head, for details like straps you can import a cube or plane, attach it to the inside part of the helmet (or for high detail make an attachment point on the helmet piece, and detail it around that) then extrude & detail to your liking, if you’d like to make it flush with the characters head you could always use the shrinkwrap modifier on the shape. for attachments on the side, you can select faces on the UV sphere and extrude them out, and use the boolean modifier to cut the desired holes into the helmet.

1 Like