Need Help With Low Poly Terrain

Hello fellow Dev Forum members! Today I have another issue that needs to be resolved. Recently I had the brilliant idea of making a simulator game so I could fund my group and give it a kick start. I played around with Blender 2.8 and made some low poly terrain to build the map with. It looked good so I exported it into Roblox Studio and it didn’t turn out too well. The terrain looked hollow when it was in Roblox and it probably wouldn’t look to nice for use in a game.

Here is what it looked like in Blender:

And here it is in Roblox Studio:

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue or will I have to use an alternative method for making my terrain?

3 Likes

From what it looks like you have some normals flipped. Normals are the “sides” of each face on your mesh that actually get rendered and can be seen by the player, so since your normals are flipped (meaning you can see the object from the inside, but not from outside) it appears like that.

Follow this video to reset your normals and it should be good after exporting it into studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5kaAbLrso

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply! The mesh seems to look good now.

Get familiar with blender if you can, using things like Smooth Shading can increase the quality dramatically, but keeping Tri count low.

To use it just hit TAB to enter edit mode and press A to select all vertices. Then go to Mesh at the top, and finally in Shading, select Smooth Faces.

I already knew that before posting this. I’m not a beginner modeler.

If you are using Blender 2.8 or 2.79 here’s a solution