Need help with making the surface of the moon

I’m trying to make a semi-realistic lunar surface using the terrain generator. The problem is that the biomes that’s offered really doesn’t do it. The only one that seems to come close is dunes. I have been changing the colors of the materials, but it seems that the different materials have different properties and it doesn’t look good.

The real moon has plains, hills, valleys, mountains, and canyons. The different seas on the moon (Sea of Tranquility, for example) are basalt to my knowledge. Also, I need to duplicate the craters. I’m not sure how to go about that either.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

1 Like
  1. You can override the material texture with a moon-rock surface.
  2. To make craters, use the Erode tool.
2 Likes

You can override the built-in terrain textures? How do you do that? I’ve looked and everyone says you can’t unless you modify Roblox’s files.

You can do that with MaterialService.

1 Like

My understanding is that material service is only for parts, not terrain. I’m talking about actual terrain. There are material overrides, but that’s for parts only. It has no effect on terrain.

1 Like

No. Having custom materials affects parts and terrain.

1 Like

Ok. Then how do I change the texture of terrain then? This is what I have been asking and people say you can do it, but nobody is saying how. As far as I know, it’s not possible unless you modify the Roblox client files. Some materials, like stone and basalt appear to be fractals so I’m not sure if they will even allow that. Regardless, I did put in a feature request for it.

You use MaterialVariants.

1. go to MaterialService and add a MaterialVariant
  2. get your texture (Normal map, Color map, Roughness map and metalness map) and paste the ID’s in the boxes (Has to be PBR to work properly)
  3. Name the MaterialVariant to the material you want this to apply to (EX: I want to change the texture of the grass, I will name the materialvariant as “Grass”. Make sure you spell it as exactly as it is.)
  4. Change the BaseMaterial to the material you want this to apply to.
  5. Adjust properties like MaterialPattern and StudsPerTile.

Ok. I just tried it out and it seems to be working. But now I need to add custom materials to terrain. That’s the main reason why I make the feature request in the first place.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.