Need Help with PBR textured models

Hello. i recently made a couple blender 3D models and textured them with PBR materials. however i want to export them to roblox for use in a game and i soon learned that Roblox doesn’t support PBR materials. soo i was wondering if i can somehow export these models while keeping their textures. by baking the PBR into a single image png maybe or ? anything i can do to make them look close to how they do inside blender? or do i have to use base colors only ?

4 Likes

You are able to add PBR materials into roblox studio by going to roblox studio, File > Beta Features > Advanced SurfaceAppearance Textures and enable it. Once you restart studio you will be able add a SurfaceAppearance into the mesh.

1 Like

Will this work in a playable Roblox game? i heard it only works inside the Roblox studio beta.

I heard that aswell but I don’t know if they updated it so it allows PBR, I’m going to test it now and let you know.

According to Roblox this works:

Yet when I tried it it didnt work…
I might have not saved the game after I added the textures.

Soo what i did was just take images each PBR material inside the studio and used that as texture ID. it doesn’t really look good, but whatever…

in blender, have a good lighting setup and then bake it to a single texture. look up how to do this. it’ll look alot better.

Modify the texture’s brightness using some photo editing tool.

Right now, it is only a studio thing. I am sure that when this feature gets released to all games, it will auto-update on a new server. Might as well just put the PBR texture in the game and wait for it to release. This is the only game that has it enabled.
https://www.roblox.com/games/5004798193/SurfaceAppearance-test

SurfaceAppearance takes four maps: Normal, Roughness, Metallic, and Color. I’m not that familiar with exporting them from Blender but I have a tutorial on how to do it from Substance Painter. While different in technical application the theory is similar.