Need help with practice methods for scripting

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want to become a great scripter so I don’t have to pay tons of money for each tiny script.

2. What is the issue? Include enough details if possible!
    I don’t know how to do that. Tutorials on YouTube are usually long and useless but I would appreciate references to good tutorials (I already have TheDevKing’s series).

3. What solutions have you thought of so far?
    I know to experiment with what I know and practice, do random projects as practice to remember how scripting works and all that.

Please refer me to tutorials and give strategies for practice if possible!

Recommendation: How To Script in 15 minutes

Search it up, its really cool

Start projects which have some coding required to make. Then, search up tutorials on YT, and devforum if you don’t know how to do it. It is a really effective way to keep strengthening what you know and learning new stuff along the way! Plus, you can experiment and see what works and what doesn’t and why it doesn’t. That’s what I did and I’d say I’m pretty decent at scripting.

1 Like

Agreed with the above. In my opinion, the best tool to learn is repetitive practical application. I started programming on Roblox around 11 years ago when I was about 9 years old. Asking questions and trying things out for myself is how I got to my current skill level — I’ve never used any tutorials or anything. As a hands-on learner, I dislike anything that requires me to sit and watch passively.

Everyone will learn differently and find that some methods work better than others but from me, I say you should actually get your hands dirty in Studio and fumble through. Ask questions, check documentation to correct yourself, and go. The challenge in programming is a whole lot of problem solving (applying your knowledge to create) more than knowing how to write statements in scripts.

2 Likes

If you want to become a great scripter, you need to do research on things you want. I MEAN A LOT OF RESEARCH. It won’t be an easy task but will be worth in it the long run. Do not push yourself to learn a lot as that can lead to burn outs which will make you take longer breaks and eventually, slower progress (I have been there).

Now, let’s take a situation:
Lets say you want to make a combat system but you don’t know how to. First you gotta research things you might think are needed for the combat script. For example, if statements will be useful to check logic and to see if things make sense. Pseudocode: if (hit) then do damage. If you can make a combat script using things you learned then, try to reflect on it. See what you could have done better. Then, do research on how make the best combat system which has better hit detection, client - server communication, etc.

If you cannot make what you want no matter how much planning, search up how to make the thing you want. Very important: do not copy paste the script. Analyze each line of code.

But that is all there is to it. I might have missed something or the example might’ve been a bad one but I hope you get the gist. Practice, practice, practice, keep researching, and do a lot of projects applying the things you have learned.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll be sure to check it out.

Great idea! I’ll do that, thanks.

Thanks! That’s a good idea, I’ll start experimenting with stuff like cause and effect and combat.