Need help with setting the PlayerID

Hello! How is it going?

What I am trying to do is set the Attribute of the Player ID inside of game. I tried workspace, then a BinaryStringValue in ReplicatedStorage, and I came to the conclusion that it is with this.

local PlayerId

game:GetService("Players").PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	if PlayerId == nil then
		PlayerId = plr.UserId
		game.ReplicatedStorage.TownData:SetAttribute("TownOwner", plr.UserId)
		print("Town owner created")
	end
end)

I then tried if not PlayerId then and it still didn’t work.
If you can help, please let me know, Thanks! WE

1 Like

Alright, I’m new to coding so this might not work (2nd hour seriously trying to learn how to code lol). So I see when you are stating or defining or whatever it is called the “PlayerId” variable, you leave what it is equal to blank. I read in a Roblox article that if you do this, it defaults to the boolean value of false and the variable represents a boolean. To make sure it is an integer, try changing the first line to “local PlayerId = 0.” I hope this helps.

Try creating the value like this:

local PlayerId = nil

That seems like it would work, but why? I’m new and don’t really know what nil is and I think you could explain it better than the developer hub. Use what you put as an example.

You did local PlayerId this means you was not assign any value. This would auto do nil but the problem is roblox don’t know how you will use it in your script. If you set it manually it should work. Also nil is nothing. It is like empty object

Why wouldn’t changing it to an integer work? (What I did)

It would work changing to int too. The only problem is with roblox engine.

I’m happy to hear that as a new scripter that my suggestion to code would actually work. Also, was my reasoning correct?

Oh then this might work:

local PlayerId = nil -- by default nil

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
     local success,errormessage = pcall(function()
        if PlayerId == nil then
        print("Creating town owner"):Wait(2) -- incase of slow loading or any other error
        if game.Players:FindFirstChild(plr.Name) and game.Players:FindFirstChild(plr.Name).UserId then
           PlayerId = plr.UserId
		game.ReplicatedStorage.TownData:SetAttribute("TownOwner", plr.UserId)
       end)
	end
     if success then
        print("Town owner has been created")
     else
        print(error.." is the error")
    end
   end)
end)

The word “nil” basically means nothing or no input added.