Need some UX suggestions for a strategy card game

I’m making a strategy card game and I have this small alert in the upper left corner of the player’s screen. This alert will keep the player on track about what is happening in the game. For example, when your opponent plays a card, it would alert the player with this message “Your opponent played: [card name]”. The alert is relatively small because I don’t want it to get in the way of player’s who understand what is happening but I want it to be available for player’s who are somewhat confused.

ANYWAY

During the game, the player’s will need to select a certain target for a card effect or something. The alert will say something like “Please chose one of your opponent’s characters”. The problem is that I think the alert is so small people won’t notice the instructions. Should I make the alert bigger and therefore make all messages larger or make a separate big alert for instructions.

If this is to confusing don’t spend to much time trying to understand it. I’ll figure it out eventually.

I would make it bigger and add an option to disable it entirely.

This way new players can easily see what they’re supposed to do, and experienced players can just turn the help off.

1 Like

I agree with the above, create an enable/disable feature for the instructions. Those who don’t know what they’re doing can see the instructions clearly, and those who are experienced can just disable it.

For alerts that aren’t informational but require action, you should probably create a different frame if you want the people who are experienced to still know when they’re required to choose an opponent’s character.