Need urgent help with road creation methods

Hey developers,

I am a small-scale dev who has a passion for making roads and driving-related things on Roblox Studio. I am currently working on a driving game and I am attempting to establish myself as a professional developer with intent of getting my game to the front page one day.

Things are mostly going well for me, and I’d say that my work is of good quality, but I am stumped when it comes to what technique I should use when creating realistic curved roads.

My aim is to create smooth, realistic, and geometric roads, of the quality seen in games like Ultimate Driving. I like the appearance of my roads themselves, but I do not know what tools I should use to properly curve them.

For the longest time, I avoided doing curved roads completely due to this problem, only sticking to flat roads, and this put a giant limitation on what I could do in my maps. But recently, I discovered this neat plugin called Archimedes Two by Scriptos, which allows you to create smooth arcs / circles out of parts or models. I was extremely overjoyed when I discovered this plugin, as I had seen other road creators use this, and I had finally seen an end to my woes. When I used the plugin for the first time, I thought this was the answer, as it seemed incredibly efficient.

But, unfortunately, my excitement quickly turned into disappointment when I learned that this plugin is likely not the best for making roads, as it has a major problem when roads curve on all axes. Simply curving a road on one axis presents no problems, but once I start curving a road on two axes, a prominent tilt becomes very noticeable as I create more segments, which you can see in the screenshot below:

As you can see here, this road is tilted slightly on the horizontal axis, which is a major problem for me since it would mean I have to somehow remedy the issue each time by creating a smooth transition between the tilted segment and a flat segment, which I shoddily attempted in the screenshot by copy and pasting a few road segments, each one rotated slightly a few degrees until I reach the flat segment.

For a moment there, I really thought I had the answer with this plugin, but it seems like this is not ideal for roads due to the unintentional (or intentional) issue which I just mentioned. This could just be how the plugin works, which may be due to logical mathematical outcomes, but it is definitely not appropriate for my purposes.

I’ve tried everything available to my knowledge, including the BezCurve Road Creator by Hydrolock, the Beautiful Roads plugin by paricdil, both of which have proved to be inappropriate for what I’m trying to achieve.

So… I really have no idea what to do, and I don’t know how other notable developers are creating their roads without running into these problems. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of tools available to road creators like me, and I’ve done a lot of searching to no avail. This is quite a difficult situation for me, because making roads is my passion and I have to find a solution if I want to make it as a developer.

If anyone has any idea of how I can solve these problems and achieve realistic curved roads, then please tell me! All help is appreciated!

3 Likes

I understand you bro. But I think you can do this by creating meshes in Blender.

Have you tried using gapfill to make the transitions?