Neon Gui Backgrounds

http://www.roblox.com/Neon-Gui-Backgrounds-item?id=268247208

I’ve written a simple module for binding neon parts to GuiObjects for use as fancy backgrounds.

The API is easy to use. A drop shadow could go like this:

local neon = require(script:WaitForChild('neon'))
neon:BindFrame(some_frame, {
	Transparency = 0.7;
	BrickColor = BrickColor.new('Really black');
})

One caveat: It’s hella expensive. Neonifying every button you can find is not good practice, and neither is melting your user’s eyeballs.

Translucent neon applies a subtle Gaussian blur to everything behind it, which looks really good on containers.

It obeys z-index and rotation.

Neon-based drop shadows look superior to image-based shadows, particularly where multiple shadows interfere.

Other materials look awful, but I guess the option is there if you need it.

30 Likes

Only thing is, as far as I have seen, we have no control on the graphics setting threshold for neon parts (I think it’s currently level 7 or 8?) which kind of makes me not want to use them at all. If my place is causing lag from too many neon parts then that should really be my issue to address and not pre-emptively solved by ROBLOX. It’d probably be more reliable to make an image that looks neon.

That aside, this is nice, good job.

You could optimize the code to reuse neon where possible. For example, buttons could share one neon for mouse over effects. I also wonder if it’s worth taking screenshots of the effects and making them work graphically where possible.

neat.

Yikes, this is not a good idea.

• Expensive
  • Limited control over appearance
  • Exists in 3D space
  • Doesn’t appear for some users

If you guys want nice looking guis you can upload images. Create your own 9-slice frames if you’re hardcore. Neon parts certainly is not what you want to be using for a drop shadow / background.

Replying so I can take a look at this later, thanks.

You can favorite threads by clicking here:

You can then later dig them up under the favorites tab on your profile, and it also gets a star by its name on thread lists.

2 Likes

[quote] Yikes, this is not a good idea.

• Expensive
  • Limited control over appearance
  • Exists in 3D space
  • Doesn’t appear for some users

If you guys want nice looking guis you can upload images. Create your own 9-slice frames if you’re hardcore. Neon parts certainly is not what you want to be using for a drop shadow / background. [/quote]

The use cases are limited but they certainly exist.
Is it practical as a drop shadow? No.
Is it practical as a background? Depends on the application.
At best, you get a translucent gui that applies a pleasant blur to whatever’s behind it. At worst, you get a translucent gui with no blur.

I definitely agree that the fact it exists in 3D would preclude much use in cases where the possibility exists of part surfaces intersecting with the viewport. That doesn’t matter so much in situations where the camera is fixed and not user-controllable.

3 Likes