Network Streaming increasing crash rate

It’s hard to know exactly where/how to report this, as I don’t have any information other than some limited statistics and a strong gut feeling. But I believe network streaming is not only not reducing crash rates on mobile devices, but rather increasing them.

This is a spreadsheet I made that illustrates the differences before and after I turned off streaming in my game (RoCitizens):

Streaming (10/24) Not Streaming (10/30) Difference
iPhone 5 60% 58% -2%
iPhone 5s 64% 56% -8%
iPhone 5c 67% 60% -7%
iPhone 6 70% 62% -8%
iPhone 6+ 73% 43% -30%
iPad 2 79% Not Filtered Not Filtered
iPad 3 70% 65% -5%
iPad mini 1G 74% Not Filtered Not Filtered
iPad mini 2G 71% 54% -17%
iPad mini 3G 72% 56% -16%
iPad Air 71% 55% -16%
iPod touch 6g 71% 62% -9%

Since network streaming was turned off due to a compatibility issue with a new update, there are several variables which could have influenced crash rates. So this information isn’t 100% reliable. But I do believe that these variables (added assets & features) would only serve to increase crash rates. I also did not take a snapshot of crash rates before switching Streaming on, but I was quite sure it increased at the time.

It’s incredibly difficult or impossible to pinpoint the exact cause of these crashes from a developer standpoint (see previous post on the topic) so I’m hoping Roblox can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

3 Likes

What do the percentages indicate? Also do you know when you turned streaming on, and when did you turn it off?

1 Like

The percentages are those found on the Developer Stats page. They are just labeled “crash rate.” Streaming was on from 10/9 - 10/24 and it has been off ever since.

Are you able to re-run the test to check results?