Networking "leak" when loading games

Occasionally when loading a game, Roblox will get stuck and absolutely obliterate your network. It will eat away 15-20Mbps (steadily increasing!) until you close it. This destroys lower-bandwidth networks, preventing other connections.

While there isn’t any solid repro for this, it has been happening to enough users and is serious enough to warrant further investigation.

See also:

edit: Looks like this issue happens when there isn’t enough bandwidth to open Roblox. The solution? Hog all the bandwidth on the network? It’s so bad that my brother ran into my room and asked why the wifi went down when I tried to play a Roblox game.

10 Likes

I have had this on a daily basis when I had a Wireless N connection at the other side of the house. I have a feeling this happens when there is a significant amount of packet loss. No problems with my new-ish 6 foot away wireless AC connection or 75 Mbps ethernet connection.

Edit: If anyone is looking to test my theory, there are utilities for randomly dropping packets. Not sure how much a lot of walls and several surrounding APs would cause.

3 Likes

This is a known issue and we’ve been looking into it (no ETA for a fix yet etc.)

9 Likes

Bumping because it has gotten to the point where I can’t enter my game at all. It fails 90% of the time, gets stuck and brings down my whole network.

I know my internet is slow but it seems like its pretty reasonable to be able to play Roblox:

Happened to me and never fixed it - was really strange and the only thing that fixed it was an ethernet cable :confused: Client Kills Wi-Fi Connection

Hey Everyone,

Engineering thinks they have narrowed down the problem, and they are actively working on fixing this bug. They are hoping to roll out a fix on a few games to test and make sure everything is working. We hope to have it resolved and fully fixed in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
2Blox2Quit

9 Likes

Hey Everyone,

Engineering thinks they fixed it, and the fix is global. They will still need to make some minor adjustments over the week. But, it should be good! Please let us know your feedback both good and bad so we know the fix is working!

2Blox

6 Likes

I started getting this problem yesterday again, what should I do?

Please file a new bug report with all required details