New Animation Editor Workflow and some bug fixes

Appreciate this a lot. Animating was a chore most of the time and workflow was slowed down quite a lot by many of the issues that this update addressed. Thank you!

4 Likes

Roblox studio crashes everytime I try to select the rig.

5 Likes

Can you give me more details on the rig that you are using, or perhaps send me the rig? Is this a custom rig/one that you modified or is it straight from the Rig Builder with no modifications?

2 Likes

I am using the rig from the default rig that comes with the animation editor.

2 Likes

Okay, I will investigate this now

1 Like

I see you attempted to report the bug here: Animation Editor not working?

Can you send me the full error output that studio is giving you?

2 Likes

Alright, here’s my opinion on this new animation editor and a bug report.
I like the new animation editor’s IK constraint feature, really helps you shape up those moves. But my problem is, it requires much more screen space than the legacy (older) one, and my resolution is 1366x768, this means the amount of widgets or somethings (Explorer, Game Explorer, Properties, etc.) crams my view size to like, 500x400. The old animation editor still manages to fit everything on a viewport size of like 300x250 or something. It sucks a lot for me, because well, I’m not gonna get a bigger monitor sooner or later. It really is quite buggy too, it just crashes my Studio constantly and glitches out of functionality.
This is my honest opinion, not trying to hate this too much. :huh:

3 Likes

There’s another bug that I’m willing to report soon.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know…is there any possible way you can give me more information on the crashes you are experiencing? Such as a list of steps you are taking in order to get it to happen? Thanks!

1 Like

I wasn’t able to show the output due to Roblox Studio crashing everytime I try to record the output.

1 Like

@DoctorVasud @Mirzadaswag Could you disable all of your user plugins and then reload Studio and see if that solves the crashing? I cannot get the crashing to repro on my setup on Win10 either, so it might be that your plugin setup is causing issues. Otherwise please attach the exact rig that causes the crash and maybe record a video of what happens so they know how to reproduce the crash.

3 Likes

Disabling plugins does nothing. https://gyazo.com/841a492ec5a633fd134fd1f3607a4121 This happened though.

1 Like

I grab my rigs to animate from the rig builder,

Also, I get this even though I have a humanoid in the rig.

4 Likes

Making animations will be much easier, thanks. Makes saving animations easier too, especially work in progress ones. You can also now (without breaking several things) copy and paste models with animations stored in them and keep working in another place. If you have 2 animators, this is very helpful.

1 Like

Moon Animation Suite is still my choice plugin for animating, but I’ll give the update a try. The rig switching could prove useful towards animating several things at one go. Don’t have much else to say about this update.

1 Like

This isn’t a major problem, but I notice that a message will appear about an IK constraint being removed from the dummy, even though I never applied IK. This happens when I click on another part not in the dummy (1st known issue)

and then click back on the dummy to return to animating it.

2 Likes

I’m also just now noticing there’s an issue with the frame rate in the new animation editor, specifically when hovering over different parts of the dummy. This was not present in previous versions of the animation editor.

It’s hard to see in the video, but as I’m moving my camera around the dummy, it’s a lot slower because of the frame rate drops.

1 Like

Can you please add a button that allows us to ignore any Motor6D error pop-up and start animating?

Im getting this error:
https://gyazo.com/40118eaa5181542d6d53fbdb8821f348

It appears because theres another Motor6D inside Left Handle that has Part 0 and Part1 set to itself.
I do this so i can use it to later attach a weapon, etc.

Before i could normaly animate, now it just stays in disactivated state, because of the error.

Just please - add button that ignores the pop-up! Im in middle of doing something and i cant animate with anything else!

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. Technically having a part with a motor6D that has Part0 and Part1 set to itself will cause a loop, which shouldn’t be allowed. Is it possible to generate the Motor6D only when you are ready to attach the weapon, or perhaps for you to move the Motor6D somewhere else temporarily when you are going into the animation editor to animate, and then put it back on once you are done. We apologize if this has disrupted your workflow. Hopefully one of those suggestions should unblock you for the time being. We will also address the screen being blank after the error appears.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing these issues out. Will have to do further investigation into the cause of the slowdown. Is it the combination of hovering over a part and moving the camera at the same time that causes this?