New Animation Runtime Rollout - Upcoming Property Removal

There is a way.

AnimationTrack.Priority = Enum.Priority.Action

Pretty sure they made it replicate now too

3 Likes

I feel like someone at roblox or in contact with roblox devs really just didn’t feel like learning how to make animations not affect other body parts, so now we have this disaster on our hands.
Now all of my animations feel sluggish and don’t move to the keyframe positions where they are supposed to be, thanks a lot

2 Likes

it’s impractical for Roblox engineers to maintain redundant evaluators and to have to always consider both when features are added or changed.

It’s impractical for developers to deal with all the crap you put us through. And besides, a “handful of games” is a MAJOR understatement, since it literally means nearly all games created with animations before this update.

10 Likes

any idea when we will be able to overwrite animations by scripting the c0?

1 Like

The C0 and C1 property of Motor6D is affected by animations, which is unintended behavior.

I believe that this is a bug that came with this new feature, and it has been causing issues. Any animation playing over the priority of Core will affect these properties of Motor6D:

• C0
  • C1
  • Transform

From my testing, this appears to happen with humanoids, but let me know if it happens on animation controllers too.

5 Likes

This issue needs to be fixed before the removal of Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix as this is game breaking for many experiences that rely on scripted motor6ds and animations.

Found a bug report for it, best to support it for visibility:

3 Likes

Where do I put a request for a game to have this feature disabled?

You don’t; once the property is removed, you have to update your code/game:

Integer priorities would have had a much bigger impact on the animation editor. Adding a few values to an existing enumeration, intended to be used only to fix one particular bad usage pattern, was the quicker and simpler solution. There are currently more priority values available than any game should need. If you find yourself wanting to have more, it’s generally a sign that priority is not being used correctly. The intended use of a higher-priority is to temporarily override a lower-priority track, either fully or partially, when you want the underlying track to continue playing, either because it still contributes, or because you want the playback time to continue advancing while it’s being overridden.

Priorities are not intended to be used to simply have the latest track replace previous animations that do not need to continue evaluating. That is a bad pattern, one that was causing serious performance degradation in a number of top games, and one that adding arbitrary integer priority values would have enabled and encouraged.

2 Likes

Blendfix looks cool but its a feature that still need work, most of the animations especially if they are snappy usually don’t work. If you really want to add animation blending please add something similiar to unreal engine where you can edit animation blending variable for animation track instance between 0 and 1. I’m bad at explaining but what I mean is:

• Blending with 0 will have 0 effect on AnimationTrack
  • Blending with 1 will play on top the Animation Track
  • Blending with 0.5 will make animation look like its in middle of transitioning etc.
3 Likes

Can’t you already do that with AnimationTrack:AdjustWeight(...)?

I never understand why we need this update. Old animations we’re fine… It just breaks all animations on my old game :sad:
But It’s okay though… I abandoned that game, and have worked on a new one which all the priorities of the animations are correct. Also, can we get Action5 for priority? ( I don’t understand anything other than lua language, Sorry.)

3 Likes

We are now 10 days away from the removal of the property and and the issue with motor6ds persists. Could we get an update or at least a postponement of the property removal until these regressions are fixed? Its not fair that experiences that a using the API properly are also broken by this change

6 Likes

This is a very awesome update. Since switching to this, my game has become more performant and all of the animations actually are working better than before with the other animation properties enabled too!

The NPCs in my game do not look strange anymore when they are walking and doing something else (like attacking), instead it mixes in perfectly and also suits the feel of my game (horror).

The players are also more performant and their animations work beautifully with tools, weaponry, and other sorts of animation.

Y’all did great on this one. (edit: November 1st is the deadline. 10 days, lets goooo)

3 Likes

Plus, they documented all of the asset IDs for both sets of materials in the documentation so developers can use both sets in their games at the same time (with some slight inaccuracies, such as textures that have parts that don’t change color).

I liked this because it let me use the cooler new textures while also letting me also use the pretty, classic cobblestone texture.

1 Like

Roblox should keep old behavior for older games/experiences but they like to reduce how much code the engine uses by instead removing them, unfortunately.

That would be a good update; You can never have too many priority levels for animations.

1 Like

That AnimationWeightedBlendFix pretty much causes a set of specific animations in my games to break and glitch around, on one side my character’s arms have a weird offset (to the side) and on the other they kinda “reset” themselves?! I’ve tried to change the priorities of these Animations; no difference.

AnimationWeightedBlendFix Disabled (how it’s supposed to look like) https://gyazo.com/192e63c7c534e52c0beefdabe73cc266

AnimationWeightedBlendFix Enabled
https://gyazo.com/49c36c30b2a31874d49aed0d3a398e34

1 Like

Could this please be addressed and fixed before the released? This issue has been far more destructive than having to carry the burden of differently weighted animations

1 Like

Regarding the setting of Motor6D.C0 and C1 at runtime: have you tried leaving Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix enabled, and disabling only Workspace.Retargeting? If this solves the problem, then it should remain user-fixable with this latter setting once the blend fix property has been removed. Please do confirm, thanks!

2 Likes

I have the same issue with Motor6D objects, and I have filed a bug report a few months ago.

Disabling Retargeting seemed to have done nothing and has not changed anything.
Disabling AnimationWeightedBlendFix appears to fix the issue.
Video of AnimationWeightedBlendFix enabled issue:
robloxapp-20221031-2038187.wmv (997.6 KB)

Previous Content

Video of AnimationWeightedBlendFix disabled issue:
robloxapp-20221031-2039246.wmv (1.8 MB)
When I disable the property, the animation is offsetting the C0 property in an undesired way, even though the modified “toolnone” animation is also rotated in that direction and this problem has not occurred before this property was added.

When I use the AnimationWeightedBlendFix property, the animation overrides the C0 property by all means.

Edit: It appears the 2nd problem appeared to be caused by an issue with a setting I set in my own code. Only the first one applies. A workaround is to set the animation priority to Core, but this solution isn’t a very good workaround to the issue.

1 Like