New API For Equipping Assets on Humanoid Player Avatars

Any ETA on when HumanoidDescriptions will be officially supporting NPCs? I’m using a sort of hacky way right now and it causes some visual bugs for whoever the first player to join the server is.

Loving the easier way to apply bundles to players, but I’m a bit frustrated over the non-support for decals as a shirt/pants. Still trying to find a way to bypass this.

2 Likes

Did you try an Image instead of a Decal? I’m not sure if this would work because HumanoidDescriptions are pretty picky, but it’s worth a try.

I was putting in the Image ID in the Shirt/Pants section and my avatar with the HumanoidDescription had the other aspects applied, but there wasn’t even a Shirt/Pants instance put in.

1 Like

You will now be able to call Humanoid:ApplyDescription() on an NPC without having to wait for a character to spawn. You can also now call Humanoid:ApplyDescription() on a StarterCharacter. The 'Best Practices / Caveats` section of the documentation will shortly be updated to reflect this.

6 Likes

This is great, thank you.

Do we have an ETA for non-owned custom assets? I believe this is the final limitation dissuading developers from using the API.

Actually, unfortunately a bug has come up, so we’ve had to turn off the functionality to use Humanoid:ApplyDescription() on NPCs until we can fix the bug. Once we have a fix the functionality will be turned back on though. I will also let everyone know here.

4 Likes

I appreciate the NPC support, this will make a big difference when it comes to RPGs and stuff like that.

HumanoidDescription properties like ShirtId or PantsId use the Ids that you can find on the website unlike the Shirts instance and the Pants instance which use something that I would consider as a real id… :s Getting a bit annoying since I have to display the shirt of the player for the character customization, but he also needs to wear it… Walking around with two different ids is a bit heavy

This’d help alot for RPG Games and those who have customization system in their game!

I agree the ID types should match, however you could always use InsertService to fetch the ImageId from the AssetId

Oh Thx Roblox Devs! :wink: :guay::woot:

I’m getting an error that you cannot use HumanoidDescriptions if you have changed the Animate script or the StarterPlayer… by StarterPlayer does this mean StarterCharacter?

Yes. This issue will be fixed shortly, and there will be a post here as soon as it’s ready

Kinda wish you posted this somewhere where everyone could see tbh. I didn’t even get a notification about this despite being so involved with this thread.

Kinda wish the other post about it being turned back off was put somewhere where I could get a notification as well…

Including your last post… :sob: @TheGuyWithAShortName isn’t the only one looking forward to this feature.

Is anyone else having issues with characters’ heads falling off (i.e. the Part0 of the Neck joint being sent to nil)?

It’s kind of hilarious, but I’m not sure if this is my end, or due to HumanoidDescription bugs. HumanoidDescriptions are immediately changed whenever a character spawns.

The character also doesn’t die when this happens, even though setting the Part0 of a Neck joint to nil manually would normally kill the character.

I’m also getting this bug sometimes where the head gets lowered for some reason

should look like this:

I managed to cheap a fix here: (Tutorial) Using custom assets in the HumanoidDescription!

We have a fix for the head getting lowered. That should be released soon

2 Likes

Fixes have been implemented, and you will now be able to call Humanoid:ApplyDescription() on an NPC without having to wait for a character to spawn. You can also now call Humanoid:ApplyDescription() on a StarterCharacter. The 'Best Practices / Caveats` section of the documentation will shortly be updated to reflect this.

13 Likes

Applying a package through this system locks the body part with the package enabled?