HumanoidDescriptions: Enabling the use of non-owned custom assets

Currently, it’s impossible to use HumanoidDescriptions when working with non-owned custom assets for games we don’t own. For example, my application HD Admin includes a ;morph command which is widely used by many other games. A great majority of morphs within HD Admin use custom assets, however since I don’t own these games, HumanoidDescriptions fail to work. I can’t prompt every developer to take a copy of these assets as it’s:

1. Annoying for the user
  2. Impractical on a large scale

Additionally, limiting custom assets to only those owned by the developer means many users will be forced to re-upload assets, such as faces and meshes, to their own account. For example, many of the faces used within my morphs are uploaded to the account of the artist who originally created them. To use these assets, I now have the choice of re-uploading all of them, using up a significant amount of my time, or simply not using HumanoidDescriptions.

In summary, HumanoidDescription is a wonderful new feature for this platform: swapping in body parts, animations, etc is now significantly easier to achieve, and morph organisation can be greatly improved. However, the current limitations imposed make certain areas of development impossible to achieve, or at least very time-consuming, ultimately dissuading a great audience of developers from exploring the benefits of this new API.

10 Likes

I think allowing non-owned assets opens up a gateway for other developers to steal closed models by simply appending them to the arguments in HumanoidDescription - it’s the same reason why the Insert tool is broken - Roblox blocked non-owned assets from being inserted.

I think a better alternative to this would be to allow HumanoidDescription to take an instance, rather than a URL

I perosnally wouldn’t use HumanoidDescriptions all together - they’re way too limited to be of any use to me.

2 Likes