New benefits for adding subscriptions within your experience

“Guys, use this feature so we can bolster our looks and numbers on social media and our platform so our investors can see this was a totally great idea! What was that? Fixing glaring issues? C’mon now, it’s time to pay for your monthly subscription to Pet Simulator X!”

31 Likes

This link doesn’t lead to an actual page.

Edit: The page has been added

14 Likes

Still not sure if this is a good idea. Could be used for “Roblox-sanctioned” methods of selling UGC limiteds for USD (by selling the subscription first, and then prompting the purchase of a free UGC limited).

What preventative measures is Roblox taking to make sure this isn’t abused by the wrong people? I feel as if developers that create subscriptions must be required to justify their subscription pretty heavily (example: decent cosmetic rewards, some sort of decent in-game bonuses). I also feel as if creating a subscription in-game with a prompt feels a bit… sketchy.

Edit: I’d also like to mention that yet a single Roblox experience has been able to garner my attention for a month.

17 Likes

I wish you could use the subscription feature with robux. Guess I’ll have to make a custom system instead because I will CLEARLY NOT ask players to pay extra $/€/… to buy it, it’s not compatible with premium subscriptions for example (receiving the robux from the subscription and not being able to invest them back in the game subscription), or any other method they want to use…

17 Likes

Hey team, I appreciate the benefits but you should probably prioritize informing developers why the call was made to use local currency and not Robux. Otherwise, people will be frustrated and there will be a lot of speculation.

This is the same reason why most developers have chosen not to adopt immersive ads. Please make it your priority to communicate with us, even if you believe we won’t understand!

22 Likes

Generous benefits (maybe a little carrot-sticky), but without Robux as a payment option, literally nobody under 18 is going to buy these. I’m not incentivized to put much effort into what I tie subscriptions to.

28 Likes

Quick question about the ToS around the new update… Is it allowed to have ‘tiers’ of subscriptions? I want to have a basic level that unlocks by having Roblox Premium, so that players who have it but are unsure if they want my subscription can try it out for themselves. Then, there will be an ‘upgraded’ version of the Premium benefits that is unlocked with my own subscription. If someone could answer this I’d greatly appreciate it!

12 Likes

How about you all KEEP the fee at 15% instead of keeping it at 30%

22 Likes

Okay, this feels super gimmicky. Especially considering that the 15% deal is only for three months. Kind of feel like I’m getting ripped off now…

18 Likes

Now the big question is, are subscriptions going to be used fairly and will there be rules to prevent subscriptions from getting straight up predatory?

The benefits of subscriptions seems really attractive but also… it would mean you’d have to partially re-design or change some parts of your game to make a subscription service fit in.

Will there be rules to prevent this from being used for Pay-2-Win?
Will we get settings and systems that auto-cancel for those who forgot they had a subscription in the first place or at the very least be able to disable auto-renewal?

I struggle to find a good use for subscriptions other than for VIP in club and hangout games.
How would you even implement subscriptions in something like a competitive game in a fair way?

Even something like subscriptions for skins and cosmetics sounds ridiculous.
You should only have to pay for something once and then own it forever.

I actually don’t want to copy/paste what I said on a different post about subscriptions so here’s a link for whoever is interested in reading my opinion.

13 Likes

I won’t lie, I read this a few more times and to me this starts to look a lot like:

“Implement our subscription service (and possibly P2W) in your game and we’ll market your game for free for a limited time.”

It almost feels like we’re being bribed to implement a predatory monetization system.

19 Likes

Roblox doesn’t respond to the genuine criticism brought up and instead doubles down… very disappointing but not surprising at this point

14 Likes

No need for an addition to this tbh.

13 Likes

We are a little confused by what this part means since creators were told that we will receive 1 Robux for each $0.01 of the subscription cost and the marketplace fee is usually applied on Robux to Robux transactions.

Given that subscriptions are priced in local currency and Roblox has provided an exchange rate to Robux for developers, where does the 30% marketplace fee come in? Is Roblox also imposing an additional 30% fee on the exchange rate it previously quoted to creators?

12 Likes

I won’t be adopting this unless there is a pay with Robux option. The ‘benefits’ of it being card drawn instead of Robux drawn all feel unethical and the wrong direction for a platform like Roblox to go in.

18 Likes

Ok, great offer but I still don’t see a point in doing any of this until subscriptions are purchasable with Robux instead of USD or some real world currency.

I’m weird, I know.

I’ve literally heard this so many times that given up on attempting to define dark patterns and decided to wait until someone passes the KOSA bill.

Yes I know KOSA is a surveillance bill in disguise. I just want kids to get off the internet and do something useful like actually learn something in school instead of just wait through class to play their next Fortnite match when they get home.

15 Likes

They thought of a way to make developers who just earn enough robux to fund their own game playing on Roblox to be forced to add real world currency to play some games.

10 Likes

I really don’t get the hate with subscriptions. If you don’t like them, just don’t use them?

It’s not a mandated change and your experience won’t need to be updated (unlike physics changes). Just let the people who like this feature go in peace. There’s no need to remove optional features.

Also, for those of you complaining about not being able to pay in Robux, then just make it yourself. All it takes is a developer product and a datastore and can be achieved with minimal code (similar to how games duration-ban players with :Kick). Having the option to pay in real currency is a nice bonus to this.

14 Likes

Can’t wait to add subscriptions and remove them on March 16th!

15 Likes

If negative criticism was blind hate, your comment would be valid. However, it isn’t.

We actually see benefits in this feature and want to use it to its full extend, but the lack of Robux options and flawed refund policy makes this hard to sell.

Using developer products is a workaround, we can always do that, but automated billing is simply impossible that way (and retention rates on subscriptions will be much lower if you have to stock a balance everytime).

20 Likes